Tongfang GK5C6X - Evoo gaming 15" EG-LP5-BK - Overpowered V 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by NYalex, Dec 2, 2019.

1. HardcorePoser

HardcorePoser Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again, man! That's helpful to know. Apologies, but may I also ask you the questions below if you're able to answer:

Can you comment on the noise of the machine when just doing basic tasks while plugged in? I know Jarrod's review of an equivalent model said 37.2 dB on idle, and it sounded fairly noticeable to me. Just want to confirm if that's the case.

Do know if the ports are HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.4?

Do you feel that the touchpad is pretty 'usable'? I've heard reports that it's pretty bad, including this thread

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sure, I will answer for you... but, I doubt my responses will be useful for the typical person that might be interested in a product like this one. Under normal circumstances, I would not have any interest whatsoever in a product like this and I typically hold them in contempt. It fit a very specific need for me within budgetary constraints and the way I use it is not consistent with the way most buyers of thin and light extra portable notebooks would use one. For example, I use it on AC power at all times and have everything pushed as far as it is capable of being pushed in terms of power use and performance. I never use integrated graphics.

How loud the system is depends on the fan profile selected. Using the quiet profile I never notice the fans. Using the other profiles, I do hear them. People that are sensitive to fan noise will likely find the system obnoxious using anything but the quiet profile. I am not sensitive to fan noise and I find nothing objectionable about it. I can run the fans full blast all of the time and not be bothered by the sound.

I do not know what version the ports are. I am not aware of a way to determine that other than obtaining the information from manufacturer information. Maybe contact Eluktronics and see if they have that information from Tongfang.

I am not the best person to comment on the touchpad because I universally despise all touchpads, and find those without discrete buttons the most loathsome type. I have been a notebook user since about 1989, so since before touchpads were invented, and I have always hated them. I avoid using them and carry a mouse when traveling so that I do not have to use it. I only use the touchpad on a laptop as a last resort. That being said, I don't find it any worse than the norm, and not nearly as miserable as the buttonless touchpad on my wife's XPS 15.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    HardcorePoser and Maxware79 like this.
  3. NorseKnight

NorseKnight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to post some Read/Write benchmarks I did to test the SSD and USB 3.0 on PNY Turbo 256GB USB3.0 flash drive.

SSD:
    [​IMG]
    USB:
    [​IMG]

I am very out of the loop on current tech.
    Are these acceptable transfer rates for these platforms? NVMe and USB 3.0?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Curious as to why you didn't skin the bottom of the laptop?
    I'm considering buying one of the skins you linked to.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I take it in and out of a backpack frequently and didn't want any extra edges that might be subject to peeling or curling. I normally do not like skins, but wanted to keep the lid and palmrest looking crisp and clean. I also didn't really see much point of applying the skin to the bottom cover. I'd never see the bottom of it except when taking it in and out of the backpack.

Be sure to message the seller and request a skin without the logo cut-out for the lid.

6. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I was going to message you this, but I'm assuming I couldn't because you have them disabled? Anyways, here goes:

I was just checking out some videos in your youtube channel.
    You are the epitome of a power user haha. I was watching the video on your bios firmware update on the Mech 15 I think it was. I own the EVOO version of the tongfang chassis and may be interested in doing the same with it, as I'd like to unlock its full potential.

What specifically does doing these firmware tweaks "unlock" that gives significant performance increases?
    Also, the video I was watching looked like more of a "tour" of the unlocked BIOS. Do you have a guide on how to actually perform the unlocking?

Thank you.

7. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    Thermals not looking very good, did some brief Diablo 3 gaming and this was results:
    This was in "Turbo" mode with fan boost on.

Should I consider undervolting the CPU more than the .050 that it is out of the box?
    What about the GPU? 85 C and I was hitting no load limit because Diablo 3 isn't very intensive. Would hate to see how hot it gets playing real 3d intensive games. Which I will test out soon

[​IMG]

8. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen such bad thermals before. However since you're using Turbo mode, try using Balanced mode and monitor the temps. If the result is similar then I guess you got a lemon unit

9. NorseKnight

Reputations:
    I switched to gaming mode, and temps were better. Averaging around 80 under load

10. genexis_x

genexis_x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Undervolt CPU+limit PL1 to 45w and undervolt GPU/lock GPU voltage with voltage frequency curve if you wish to utilize extra power for GPU in Turbo mode