Tongfang GK5C6X - Evoo gaming 15" EG-LP5-BK - Overpowered V 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by NYalex, Dec 2, 2019.

1. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just a quick update fellas:

8 months of use (i bought it in december 2019):

-no major issues

only minor issue:

laptop still does not go to sleep too well. everytime i close the lid at 100% battery and check in the morning = battery is dead. i'm using a larger 62whr battery. i notice laptop fans ramp up when sleeping.

only way to remedy this is to manually shutdown the laptop every time. closing lid to make it sleep is useless as it continues to drain battery.

i only use laptop at home or on hotels where i know i'll have external power source. The laptop is a big fail for portability due to battery draining while in sleep mode.

Keyboard still works perfectly fine.

Cpu and gpu are both undervolted and repasted, temps hover around 80~85 while in intense gaming sessions. Fans are dumb loud no matter what mode, but then again i have yet to see a thin gaming laptop that has quiet fans. Even a $2500 razer blade has annoyingly loud fans.

Would i recommend this? not for beginners, just go with a major brand if you want a good out of the box experience. The evoo laptop is cheap for all intents and purposes, but the out of the box experience is not that good.

2. KillTheRiddick

KillTheRiddick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I was able to significantly cut down the fan noise (on Windows 10) by using ThrottleStop (a free program) to disable hyper threading (or on second thought, it might have been speedstep....it was a while ago, so not 100% sure...but it is very obvious when you do it)... Granted it might affect performance on really intensive programs/games, but easy enough to switch back and forth via ThrottleStep profiles. Nice thing about 6 cores is no matter what you disable, this thing is still (overall) a beast performance-wise). Throttlestop fix might even help your battery drain issues during sleep, but that is just a guess/wishful thinking.

Also worth mentioning is that MacOSX (hackintosh) also runs very quiet without any need to tweak or run throttlestop (though I am referring to just normal use, not intensive use, since I have not run much on OSX yet). Of course, MacOSX does not use dedicated graphics, just Intel stuff, so that certainly would affect fan noise as the heatsink is merged between CPU and dedicated GPU. BTW, Hackintoshing this laptop is VERY easy but requires about a $30 investment since you need a different Wifi/bluetooth card. If you go that route I recommend a dual boot windows/MacOSX (on separate internal drives to make backups, etc, cleaner) so you get the best of both worlds. A second drive is not required but it is worth the investment since there is room/ports for a 2nd NCME drive or a SSD (FYI; ssd cannot be installed if you have installed the larger capacity battery).

In addition, removing existing thermal paste and re-applying has been show to frop temp by 5 to 10 degrees Celsius...without a performance impact...though that assumes the initial application was flawed at factory, and disassembly us not fir the faint of heart.

One last thought: If desired you can unlock the bios on this laptop... but really only necessary if you have the expertise to make use of the (HUGE amount of) unlocked bios settings. Not the simplist thing to do but it can be done.

3. NYalex

NYalex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'm already using throttlestop to achieve undervolt of cpu and afterburner for undervolting gpu.

4. Omnytrix

Omnytrix Newbie

Reputations:
    Forget what I said. Got this laptop for $733 on eBay in like new condition. Hopefully I didn’t just waste close to $800. I’ll let you all know how it turns out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  5. elloco421

elloco421 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought this laptop and no audio comes out of the headphone jack. The speakers are still activated on the laptop and will play audio fine (both with and without headphones being connected). I've reset the computer 2 times already and installed the RealTek and THX drivers that been linked on here a few times. I've also made sure the headphones were set as a default audio device. Is this a problem anyone else has had? I believe the audio jack might be faulty and want to make sure that's the case before I return the laptop.