Tongfang GK5C6X - Evoo gaming 15" EG-LP5-BK - Overpowered V 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by NYalex, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The PIN feature works fine, but the web cam is not a "Micro$oft-Approved" Windows Hello device for facial recognition. If the PIN feature is not working and you have a logon using a Micro$oft account (not local) you may have a required service disabled.

"Windows Hello requires specialized hardware including a Windows Hello capable device, fingerprint reader, illuminated IR sensor or other biometric sensors and capable devices."

I don't know what makes a webcam "specialized" other than maybe they have paid a tax (license fee) to Micro$lop like the tax that NGREEDIA requires for G-Stink licensing for laptops. But, there could be something unique about biometric webcams that I am not aware of at a hardware or firmware level.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. sc350z

sc350z Newbie

Reputations:
    That sucks considering it was advertised as having Hello with the camera. It looks like it even has the IR lights or sensors on the side of the device too. I wonder if other variants of this Tongfang chassis have Hello via webcam enabled?

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Mine does not have it and mine is from Eluktronics. Maybe it is an approved Hello webcam and there is something that needs to be enabled that neither of us know about. I have never investigated it because I do not want that feature enabled. But, I understand some folks do and if they advertised it as a feature it should work. Maybe the OEM's Tech Support can help you identify if there is a switch that needs to be flipped. Maybe it's something simple. If that turns out to be the case, please come back and share the solution here so others that want it can use the feature.

sc350z likes this.
  4. sc350z

sc350z Newbie

Reputations:
    Gotcha, thanks. I doubt EVOO is going to be any help as they still have Lorem ipsum text all over their barebones site. Who knows if there even is going to be CS for EVOO.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LoL. The Lorem ipsum text is definitely a confidence booster. Didn't Steve from GamersNexus talk to them at some point? Or, maybe it was only Walmart CS.

Interesting that they changed the brand name from Overpowered to EVOO. Or, is EVOO a completely different vendor?

6. sc350z

sc350z Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure about the branding, it seems both are limited type companies that just drop these laptops on Black Friday. Both use Tongfang chassis.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. sc350z

sc350z Newbie

Reputations:
    This laptop and the Ilegear Prodigy use the same chassis as the EVOO I have, and comes with windows hello. Unfortunately I don't see drivers for Windows Hello on their support pages either.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hmm. My webcam is at the top of the screen, not the bottom like the one in that video.

I did not know that Windows Hello required special drivers.

Edit: I did some Google searching and it may not be the laptop. It may be Windows. Seems after 1803 Hello functionality can be hit or miss on devices specifically marketed as having Hello facial and fingerprint recognition features.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-for-biometric-device?forum=win10itprogeneral

Edit #2: the Infinity X5 in that video is not the same product as the MECH-15. It is very similar. However, it has a membrane keyboard (versus mechanical), a rubberized finish and webcam under the screen instead of above it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    sc350z likes this.
  9. sc350z

sc350z Newbie

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Last year with the Overpowered offerings, Windows Hello was only on the 17" model.
    I wonder if it is the same this year? THe 17" EVOO have it but the 15" models do not?

Mr. Fox likes this.