Tockl! The New Mobile Intel Core i7's are out...

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by CrunchDude, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njsss

njsss Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well, I am working on instruments and programming, and I've to say the more cores the faster to get things done, depending on whether you program it in a multithreding way or not. Nevertheless, multicore programming has become much more necessary and easier than ever before in engineering and science.

I thought the mobile workstation (W-series) should be among the first to get the i7 cores. Guess I have to either wait or go to some other consumer line instead.

2. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    You care to elaborate on that? There're pretty much 2 OSs that people use, Windows and Linux. Are you saying both can't distribute single-threaded apps well? Both can distribute single-threaded apps really well, that it is beneficial to have more than one core. The "more-cores has not benefit" thinking has to stop because it's misleading and wrong.

3. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    lol, I LOOOVE how you left out mac... lol, this is funny.

4. gforce23

gforce23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FWIW, mobile i7 processors are way too power hungry and probably do not offer enough benefits over a mid-range high clocked dual core Arrandale. Maybe if Intel (or AMD) can get the power levels down to the 35W range (low power i7 perhaps?), I could see the benefit of using them in mobile workstations but at the moment, I think it'd be wiser to skip Clarksfield, get an Arrandale laptop and transition to mobile quad core chips once Sandy Bridge hits the scene.

EDIT: The Arrandale Core i7-620M & Core i5-540M are looking quite juicy at $332 and $257, respectively. The former with a clock speed of 3.33Ghz should be able to shut out the low end Clarksfield (i7-720 - 1.6Ghz - $364) in most tasks.

5. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    While I admit I'm not a fan of anything Mac, Linux/Unix/*nix derivative OS pretty much have the same scheduler design philosophy. So in terms of multi-core CPU scheduler, there're only two OSs in the mass market right now.

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The i7 processors are as power hungry as the C2Ds for most users (not many users max out CPU load on battery, 45W TDP includes the memory controller, which means it's comparable to the 35W C2D). The only benefit Arrandale has is really the integrated GPU.

Clock speeds aren't the whole story. When Clarksfield runs at 1.6GHz, it means whatever you're doing can take advantage of all the cores/threads, hence it will definitely destroy the Arrandale even at max speed.

If not all the cores are used (say for example in a dual core optimized program), Clarksfield shuts down two cores and the lowest CPU can increase it's speed to 2.4GHz (2 cores) and 2.8GHz (1 core) while the top CPU can run at 3.06/3.2GHz for 2/1 cores respectively. Arrandale's 620M actually runs at stock 2.66GHz (2 cores) and it's Turbo Boost that can make it run at 3.33GHz (1 core), while for 2 cores don't know the boost amount but I extrapolate the value to be 2.93GHz.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=421441

At $364 for the 720QM, I would rather take that if I needed CPU power over the 620M at $332. If I were only a casual user and didn't need a powerful CPU, I'd get the 620M only because of the option of switchable graphics.

7. iGrim

iGrim Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Core i7 + 45nm process + laptop = NO THANK YOU!!!!

8. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    lol iGrim. it seems like he gets banned weekly.

9. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I thought I saw somewhere that isn't coming back. Must be for good this time.

10. pacmandelight

pacmandelight Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends upon what you use your computer for. For scientific, engineering, rendering apps, the more cores means more work done in less time. But do not tell me 4 cores will help out some young lady who types memos and letters in HR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.