Tockl! The New Mobile Intel Core i7's are out...

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by CrunchDude, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    Wow, hopefully Intel will introduce i9 mobile next year.

2. gforce23

gforce23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd say the chances of that happening are almost zero. Intel's roadmap doesn't have any 32nm Nehalem quad/hex mobile chips. Plus, Gulftown based core i9 hex-core desktop processors are going to be marketed as Extreme Edition units and are expected to cost $1000+ with a massive TDP of 130W, so getting them down to 35-50W levels seems impossible with the current 'tock' process.

3. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    Here is where I got my information:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3647

My understanding is that Arrandale will be a 2-core i7 with Hyperthreading capabilities, though since it isn't out yet, I cannot be sure that will be Intel's final word on brainding. I suppose it could turn out to be a mobile i5, though I believe all current i5 CPUs do not have Hyperthreading like their i7 counterparts (though they do have Turbo mode).

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, that's exactly what I tried to convey, although your description is better than mine.

In theory, and hopefully in practice as well, this Turbo Boost technology is awesome. I chose a dual-core (T9900) over the Q9000 quad-core because without Turbo Boost, each core would have had a maximum of 2GHz, especially given the lack of software written to take advantage of all 4 cores. With Turbo Boost, all power could have been routed to 2 or a single core, and it would have gone for the Q9000 without a thought.

I looked up the QX9300, and found some info on existing technology that sorta/kinda does a similar thing. I forget what it's called, but I think it was Intel even.

In July, the T9900 came out, and since then, no new T, X, Q have been released. There may have been a P series one, I'm not sure. Is that it for Penryn? ...and Lenovo?

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Penryn (C2D) is dead, now it's i7 time.

7. f4ding

f4ding Laptop Owner

Reputations:
    I still don't get the more cores don't do anything with current software opinion. Sure, one software won't be able to use all 4 cores, but then you get to run more softwares at the same time. The OS will distribute the tasks to each cores so everything is done faster.

Besides, the same argument can be said for clock speed. After a certain clock speed, say 2GHz, the gain is negligible. Websites aren't going to open faster on a 3GHz machine than they're on a 2GHz machine.

8. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    Not everything can be multithreaded. Also, while operating systems have improved, they don't always have the ability to distribute single-threaded apps as neatly as you'd think.

There is definitely a benefit to multiple cores --but in some situations much more than others. Video encoding is a very common one; usually encoding apps use multiple threads.

9. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I understand it, 2 cores are plenty for now and for a while. But the quad's are the future of course, but the benefit is rather limited for a good while.

10. Mandrake

Mandrake Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    expect some great black friday deals as they clear out inventory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.