Tockl! The New Mobile Intel Core i7's are out...

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by CrunchDude, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ...albeit only two for now, with the third mobile Core i7 and Core i5 following suit at some point soon, I guess.

This being a "tock" year, with the main architecture not changing (45nm), would a mobile Core i7 fit into where those of us with a Centrino 2-compliant (hah, that's great marketing), as well as Centrino 2's w/ vPro (was that pure marketing, too? I'm actually really asking!) can get some thermal compound, a screwdriver, and put in one of these babies? Will the BIOS likely have to be hacked?

The W710 Thinkpad "Refresh" will be out in Q2 2010, if a recent Lenovo chart is to be believed. Will that be mainly about the 32nm that Intel is so feverishly working on?

2. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No, wont work. They are different architectures although built on the same manufacturing process (45nm). The core i series will require a new socket + chipset. So, upgrading with the current platform is not possible.

3. Mandrake

Mandrake Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    and now we wait until January for lenovo to release a new i7 system while Dell, HP and others are releasing them now.

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Doubt Dell and HP will release their i7 business laptops until Q1 2010 either.

5. jaakobi

jaakobi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it won't work. i7s have a different chipset and socket type.

6. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    First-gen mobile i7 (Clarksdale, quad-core, 45nm) appears to have a pretty high TDP (45-55w). Compare that to the rev.2 Penryn, which has a TDP of 25w, or even the first stepping, at 35w.

Best to wait for the Arrandale (32nm) version, which should have a lower TDP, to avoid excess heat, and short battery life. Dual-cores rather than quad, but performance should still be quite good when compared to a Core 2 Duo. Intel doesn't have a 4-core 32nm version listed yet, though I'm sure that will be coming down the pipe eventually.

7. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Arghh...I had a feeling, but not 100% sure. I was only asking, as I went from a Yonah (x86-only CPU) T2600 to a Merom T7600 (Core 2 Duo x64 processor) without a hitch on my T60p w/o any problems.

So Intel's Tick-Tock methodology doesn't help me with this, huh?

Dell has launched one i7 already, by the way, in the form of its acquired Alienware division. ;)

Edit: @LoneWolf15: All post-i7's etc etc will have 4 cores, no? The Turbo Boost mode sounds awesome when the chip apparently gives whatever core as much or as little power so as always reach the best possible performance depending solely on what the system and apps need, so it will generate the highest performance at any given point without user interference. Is that about right? Would be nice to have for the QX9300. :D :D

8. gforce23

gforce23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As a matter of fact, Dell's launched 3 laptops with the core i7. :)

Turbo Boost takes into account the TDP of the processor and boosts the core frequency of a single core (for a dual-core processor) or one/two cores (for a quad core processor) right until the processor hits TDP.
    For example, the mobile i7 820 can change from 1.73Ghz (4 cores) to 3.06Ghz (single core) if/when a single core is stressed to the max while the other 3 remain unused.

9. mikec

mikec Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sure we will see i7's in Thinkpads at a large premium before Xmas, unless Lenovo is asleep at the switch.

Yes, there will be a price premium, but wait a year, and they will be a lot less.

All these cores are nice, and sure, this will help with decoding/encoding audio and video, but what I would like is cheaper memory (esp. up to 8GB) and TRUE 64bit apps, so the 2GB app data barrier gets broken. Then you could see some big improvements in data intensive apps.

I like seeing the i7 in the Dells; I am tempted to switch but I the Studios are a bit hefty for my tastes. I think I will let the early adopters pay the Intel R&D tax, and get mine next year.

10. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Lenovo won't update their line until Q1 2010, so you won't see i7s in them before Christmas. They require a new motherboard and won't simply fit into current models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.