To buy the 9 series or not to buy the 9 series

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by TuDack, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawflake

Hawflake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, it is very "sturdy", but I suspect it might loosen up after a while. Put it this way, if you trip on the power adapter cable, you don't ever have to worry about its disconnecting from the laptop, but you do have to worry about the laptop flying off the table with it.

2. Eppsing

Eppsing Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good news for you. With mine, I could have pounded it in with a sledgehammer and it still wouldn't have clicked into place, but it appears I am one of very few with this problem. Unfortunately, mine has been at the service center for five days and counting, they couriered me a new adapter which is obviously useless without the laptop :rolleyes:

In any case, the adapter is one case in which Apple clearly has a 100% better solution...Samsung doesn't seem to mind copying Apple designs, so too bad they didn't do a knock-off of that feature.

3. aras87

aras87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My charger plug is extremely solid as well. You certainly hear a click sound once it is fully in. I actually really like how secure it is.

4. bubbatex

bubbatex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Consider buying Parallels or VMware for a true virtual machine experience. Agree that if you really want to run both Win & OSX regularly, Bootcamp is not the best solution

5. DrAloha

DrAloha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "A" series vs. waiting for "B" series? Any comments? (B02 now becoming avail on various sites...)

One downside to "B-series" noted is warranty change from 3-years to 1-year. Given that, thoughts/experiences on extended warranties and extended warranty PLUS "accidental damage" coverage? (how delicate is this thing, anyway?) Adds $200-400 to price! (sneaky way to "raise price" while still leaving apparent selling price the same?) Makes that MBA vs. S9 comparison easier, I guess since BOTH now have 1 year coverage.

Perhaps last chance to get a "bargain" A-series or avoid and wait for B-series with improved (?) wifi card?

Any other changes in B-series that anyone knows of?

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where is the warranty information posted? I don't see it on Amazon or the Samsung site.

7. brian5

brian5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Many online stores post that warranty info. Samsung does have that info too -- it's just not that easy to find. Look at the bottom of this page for the A03 model.

8. uniten

uniten Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am also wondering whether to get a Series 9 the 13.3" model..I have a bunch of concerns and CS wasn't very helpful...

1) I know that there are no physical buttons on the trackpad, but is it possible to make only the bottom clickable and not the entire trackpad?

2) How hot does it get after long use? I have my laptop on pretty much 24/7 and I spend time programming..is it good for long time lap use?

3) I heard there are wifi issues here and there..but is the wifi good enough for close range wifi? or like say 10-20ft?

4) Anyone dealt with Samsung warranty? From the agent they don't have an option for in-home warranty..do they have any option for getting the laptop fixed fast? as in same/next day?

5) I also heard W7 benefits from directx 11..but it only has 10.1..I am not gonna game on it, but will I miss out anything?

Also, does anyone know of any other light 12-13 laptop that will have a 400nit matt display and preferably 9500+ gpu? I hoped higher end series 3 would but after long long research it seems it will be 300nit display max..and it weighs 2x that of the series 9 :(..also

I have now a Dell XPS 1340..which gets really HOT, and the display is 300nit which is ok on sunlicght but would prefer better if possible..I use it mostly for programming and graphics design..

Any help would be appreciated..

9. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately Samsung's website is rather poor when it comes to showing all of the models, and a side-by-side view of the features and specs.

For instance, look at Elegant Design, Sleek Performance - Laptop Performance. Even if you drill down from there on the 13", you can't see any of the newer models and therefore no comparison.

You would think warranty would be an important consideration. Anyone buying one of these machines with a 12 month warranty is crazy. Look at all of the unresolved bugs on this v1 device.

10. brian5

brian5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Thors.Hammer,

I agree wholeheartedly that Samsung's web site is rather poor. I don't even bother to try to get my Samsung model info there.

Everything that I've seen anywhere supports that the A0x models have 3-year warranties and that the B0x models have 1-year warranties.

With my credit card purchase, I now supposedly have 4-year warranty on my A05. But, according to pages on Samsung web site, that is voided if one opens the case (to install RAM or do anything else).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.