To buy or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by AsianKid, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsianKid

    AsianKid Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    So, I am a student about to begin college in the fall. I plan on buying a laptop, particularly the M11X. Seeing that Alienware is dumping its current M11X's, and the price is very affordable at $599, do you think I should buy the laptop now or wait for the R3? I don't necessarily need to purchase one until right before school starts so the wait won't be a problem. For me, the most important factors are price and performance (essentially bang for your buck.) I just want a good deal. Initially, I was set on buying the M11X now for the low price but I learned of its faulty hinges and highly reflective screen while researching. Now I don't know what to do. :confused: Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
     
  2. kosti

    kosti Notebook Virtuoso

    Reputations:
    596
    Messages:
    2,163
    Likes Received:
    467
    Trophy Points:
    101
    The whole R3 thing is speculation at this point. I mean a new one will probably be released soon but waiting for one is not worth it imo. Just get what you want or need now and don't worry too much about the future, it will drive you nuts. Besides that, if and when the R3 is released, it will probably cost a lot more than what the R1 is selling for now. The hinge issue fix was posted in another thread so I wouldn't let that stop you. Best thing to do is look for deals from Dell. They are constantly running promotions. I picked up an R2 a couple of weeks ago for $650. Good luck.
     
  3. Iryxian

    Iryxian Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    I'd wait, it's not even summer yet. See what happens. If nothing else you can always get a rerub r1 or r2 if the r3 is too expensive.
     
  4. Augusta

    Augusta Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    17
    Messages:
    167
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    Rerub? Sign me up!
     
  5. AsianKid

    AsianKid Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    What's a rerub?
     
  6. minnus

    minnus Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    22
    Messages:
    243
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    31
    lol. Augusta is just making fun of Iryxian's typo.
     
  7. AsianKid

    AsianKid Newbie

    Reputations:
    0
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    5
    Ah, so I'm guessing he meant refurbished?
     
  8. bchreng

    bchreng Notebook Evangelist

    Reputations:
    14
    Messages:
    492
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    I'd say wait for the next $200 off sale and go for it! :D
     
  9. MasivB

    MasivB Guest

    Reputations:
    58
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    R3 is speculation. If you are buying this for school I wouldn't suggest it as you'll spend most of your time troubleshooting when you need it most. Get the new Amilo. They are compatitble with ATI's new XGP (Xternal Graphics Processor) via PCI-E bus. Its pretty sick..
     
  10. aggiekevin

    aggiekevin Notebook Consultant

    Reputations:
    4
    Messages:
    135
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    30
    I bought my R2 middle of last summer for school. It is a GREAT machine for school. Doesn't take up much room in my room. Portable for when I have group projects on campus with great battery (7hrs and yes that is with the i5). I use a 32 inch Samsung LED as my external at home.
    I never have a problem with it, I run modded drivers and other ICC profile along with Throttle Stop and it has never left me in trouble.
    I have many different programs from National Instruments such as Labview, Multisim, etc on it that run beautifully. I haven't run Solid Works or Autocad yet this year.
    My advice to you is to wait until summer to maybe cash in on the possible R3.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page