Title transfer in CA??

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by spradhan01, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can ask my friend to write a bill of sale and fax it to me.
    Could you tell me what should I ask him to write in bill of sale to avoid the taxes?

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Expanding upon what Qing Dao told you already.

1. If you have the title, make sure it is signed by your roommate (I assume the title and registration is from Minnesota, yes?)

[​IMG]

Your roommate signs and fills out the red area, you fill out the yellow area, and put the current mileage in the blue area. You should not need to fill out the back of it cause the car is a gift and not being sold, but have your roommate sign and print where it asks for the sellers name and signature on the back, just to be safe. That way if the DMV does ask you to fill out the back, you don't need to get his info or signature.

Then have your roommate download and fill out this DMV form: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg135.pdf

He fills out the top and middle portions. Put $0 for the sale price and some low ball number like $500 for the gift value. That's what I did when my dad got my Grandma's car. Her's was a 2000 Toyota Camry so it was worth way more than $500, but the DMV will use the number you put down.

Finally, download this title transfer form: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg138.pdf

Fill out the top (purple) portion of the first page. Again, put $0 in the box for selling price.

So you will have three documents to fill out and take to the DMV. The Minnesota title, the Bill of Sale form, and the CA DMV transfer of title. IIRC, we only paid $80 or something for the transfer and registration. Both happen at the same time. This was in 2011 so the policies MAY have changed since then, but I don't think they have. All the forms are still the same.

3. spradhan01

Reputations:
    @radji & everyone else...thanks a lot ...it really helped me.. +rep

4. spradhan01

Reputations:
    Just got done everything. I paid like $120 for everything. Does anyone know how long do they take to ship the new title to me?

Thanks

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    3-6 weeks. That's how long it took them to get my Dad his title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.