Time to replace my beloved macbook pro

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Metamaker, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metamaker

Metamaker Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all, I'd like to thank you for your thoughts on this.

Second, my beloved Macbook Pro (early 2011, 15") has finally gotten to the point where I can't really use it as portable. I carted that thing all over the planet and it served me well. That said, I'm not thrilled that Apple hasn't managed to keep up with the times in terms of ram but instead has fixated on things like thinness for it's own sake and gadgets like the touch pad.

So, I'm looking at one of two choices -- 1) 2015 Macbook pro due its ports, build quality and familiarity 2) a new laptop of similar cost, though somewhat more is expected.

And now on to the form questions.

1) What is your budget?
    I anticipate this will run $1400 about $2100

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    On line. I'm in the US.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple, Clevo/Sager & resellers. I'm also open to Eurocom but I don't see what their products map to exactly.
    b. Dislike: I know Dell is on an upswing but I'm not really keen on them.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Coding with large datasets and multiple programs; some binge-gaming required.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both for sure.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, Fallout & Starcraft mostly but the laptops I'm looking at are mostly VR ready -- which might be nice.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 should be sufficient. I usually am near an outlet though.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    If they have a good return warranty and a set of positive detailed reviews that would be fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Linux, Mac, BSD and windows as required.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    I've had both; either is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really. It's nice but not required. The robustness of my mac, particularly the chasis was was great. That alone dropped the cost of ownership; if I could add upgradability to that, I'd be thrilled.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    As soon and I finalize a decision unless there is a particular reason such as new set of models is coming out in a couple of weeks.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    Six years would be awesome even I have to make upgrades. Hence the desire for a strong chassis.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1Tb would be fine. I have a spare m.2 drive as well as a 2.5" that will work.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No, or an external one purchased later would be fine.

Last comment --
    As I mentioned, I've looked at Eurocom (particularly the Sky x4c) but am finding some stuff that is apparently contradicted on their own site with what has been (recently) written here so I would also like to ask a follow up question or two for those who might be able to explain things. That, or go with another dealer if things turn out that way.

Kind regards and thanks again.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I'd suggest checking out the following if you want a 1050 (Ti) and don't mind undervolting a bit.

Asus ZenBook Pro UX550
    Acer Nitro 5 Spin (or regular Spin 5 if you don't like red)
    Lenovo Yoga 720

Out of these, the Yoga would offer the best CPU performance while the ZenBook has a massive battery. The Spin models, on the other hand, come in cheaper than the Yoga but also have solid build quality (but come with lower-end IPS screens)

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    surface book 2.

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.