Time to Replace my Aging y410p

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by LanceAvion, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    ~$1,200 USD
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    N/A
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    General office/school usage, gaming
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, mostly esports (Overwatch/Rocket League), RPGs (The Witcher, Pillars of Eternity) and unoptimized indies (Rust)
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    The more the merrier, but I could live with a solid 3hrs
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Seeing it is preferred, but I'm fine with a blind purchase.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics
    12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

1920x1080 and 144hz are preferred. I can live with 60hz, but not a lower resolution.
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Mattle/Non glossy
    Build Quality and Design
    14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes

Notebook Components
    15) How much hard drive space do you need?

The more the merrier, but SSDs are preferred (256GB+) over HDDs. I can upgrade later as necessary
    after all.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity
    16) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP (to take advantage of lingering sales)
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Hopefully as long as my y410p (3+ years minimum)
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Weeks as long as my current one (spare) is working. A week maximum if not.
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping is fine.

My trusty old y410p (in my signature) is still working fine, but I think it's time for me to get a more modern and powerful notebook. I'm looking at i7 8750H + GTX 1060 laptops. Any less of a CPU (like the i5 8300H) seems too little of an upgrade over my current i7 4700MQ. Likewise with the GPU. So far I've narrowed it down to the Acer Predator Helios 300 and Lenovo y530. I'm leaning towards the y530 given the much better aesthetics, but I wanted to hear from you all and see if there are other options I'm overlooking.

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  3. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    NP, you get a lot for the money you pay especially now it's still on the Black Friday discount.

Within your budget, I found no other laptop that has these specs, even all the GPU I found in your budget were GTX 1050s so this has a GTX 1060 which will serve you better.

when ordering it, choose Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Thermal pads for the best cooling and to prevent throttling.

If you do end up getting this, it means you'll be part of the MSI Gaming Team so feel free to tag me if you want me help you tweak your laptop. These are the Ultra Male Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Disabling Microsoft Edge from starting up automatically in the background upon reboot.
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the classic Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    9- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    10- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    11- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    12- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    13- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    14- Preventing Microsoft Edge from running on startup in the background
    15- Creating a system restoration image using Macrium Reflect

[​IMG]

LanceAvion likes this.
  5. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information mate. I'll look into this laptop properly when I get off of work. Unfortunately, I'm no fan of the lid design, but the specs are fantastic for the price. That said currently both of the laptops I mentioned, y530 and Helios 300, are within my price range with similar/equivalent specs.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

For your budget, I think these are all your options: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

Before we begin, know that the 8300H processor runs much cooler than the 8750H and most laptops with the 8750H overheat and throttle.

Of all of these, I would recommend the following.
    - Lenovo Y7000, it's more expensive, but it's well worth the price difference in my opinion. It still has trouble cooling the processor, but it's ok on the video card.
    - HP Omen 15t, it does a decent job at cooling itself in most scenario, especially after the latest bios update, I would recommend this one of all of them.

As for the Lenovo Y530, it is ok-ish, but not with the GTX 1060. As far as I know, it has trouble cooling the GTX 1060.
    The Acer Helios 300 used to run hot with the 7700HQ, with the 8750H it throttles and overheats under heavy processor load. If you want a laptop that lasts, I would pass the Helios.

Another laptop to consider, but more expensive is the Tsinghua Tongfang GK5CN6Z, this is among the best laptops in its class, and you have a good chance of it lasting long term.

The MSI GP63 is a good laptop regarding cooling and electronics, but MSI GP series chassis don't age well.

LanceAvion likes this.
  7. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    Thank you for your response, that search engine feature looks helpful. That said I do have a question, what do you mean by "the MSI GP series chassis doesn't age well?"

Are you referring to the ports? The appearance? Both?

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How flexible is your budget? Reason I ask is that 120/144Hz is a premium feature usually reserved for higher priced models, and $1200 is too low of a budget for a good unit with the hardware combo you're after, as these don't often go on deep sales.

LanceAvion likes this.
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    LanceAvion likes this.
  10. LanceAvion

Reputations:
    I'm aware, and I can honestly live with a 60hz display. I'd just prefer the 120/144hz option if available.

That is a pretty good deal. Does anyone know much about these Walmart OP laptops? What chassis is it? And how is the build quality/thermals?