Time for laptop manufacturers to rid of expresscard BS

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by useroflaptops, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think its about time. I have had quite a few laptops. They always had PCMCIA, now, expresscard slots. Never have I used them. All a waste of space. A 1.8" HDD would find itself very useful in its space instead. I say get rid of it.

I understand some people use it for their wireless, etc. But new laptops don't need it. These wireless connectivity etc are comming standard on almost all machines. Further, USB/eSATA transfer rates are getting pretty good that expresscard is useless. If people ever find the need to use devices not included in their pc when they got it, at a later time, then they may opt for USB or wire based external devices.

The other advatnage of expresscard/PCMCIA slots is the 'internal' nature of the laptop. But newsflash, they arnt even that 'internal' with always a huge chunk of crap sticking out.

Further lets look at the list of devices offered for expresscard slots. Yep, all useless by my everyday standard.

I think its time for notebook manufacturers to start scrapping this useless feature, and perhaps even cut some cost on the machinese cause they dont have to pay the royalties to use express card.

2. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    I can find a lot of devices that wouldn't be useless to a lot of people, such as soundcards, LAN ports, TV Tuners, the list goes on. I do not believe it is a useless feature, as there are a lot of people that require the sort of stuff that uses it.

3. useroflaptops

Reputations:
    The thing I didnt mention was, these PCMCIA/expresscard devices are made by select opportunistic manufacturers because expresscards were chosen as a standard feature in most laptops and already exists as I/O. Again, this is not neccesary anymore as USB drives and eSATA have very high transfer rates, so future external devices can make use of other transfer I/O ports instead of expresscard, and leave that space either to add an extra HDD, or make the laptop smaller, lighter, cheaper.

LAN ports, TV tuner cards, soundcards, etc- can all be external devices if you really need them after the fact of buying your laptop. It need not be explicitly through expresscard.

Back in the day of PCMCIA era, they were considered mildly useful because such things as modems or ethernet cards were not included in laptops as standards, and these PCMCIA card modems were optional choices back then. This made sense for a while, plus those devices fit fluishly in the laptop.

Then came the new thing about wireless, so ok. But these PCMCIA wireless cards were ugly and stuck outside the laptop. I mean if you really wanted it, Im sure some USB external solution would not have been much worse if offered.

Nowadays all laptops come standard with these wireless, etc features. Expresscard has no place in laptops. They may still be useful for so called desktop replacement that is meant to have everything in it as standard. But for anything other than desktop replacement, they are a complete waste of space IMO. Not neccesary for future laptops.

Therefore, hopefully when alll manufacturers get rid of expresscards, peopel who find the need to use other devices or features not included in their laptop may opt to use external wire tethered options, perhaps connected via USB for example, rather than relying on expresscard, which frankly would be sticking out anyway.

4. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But then you couldn't use it with the DIY vidock (external desktop GPU).

5. useroflaptops

Reputations:
    the video dock was made by people who knew expresscard slots existed in laptops. If laptop manufacturers dropped expresscards in their laptops in the future, these external video cards can still exist, but it will just be using different I/O instead of express card. Especially since other I/O have very high data transfer rates nowadays.

6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    But what happens if the next iteration of Expresscard has a higher transfer rate than other formats, like it has this generation?

7. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    well express card was what? 3GB/s? just use USB3.0, it can hit 5.0GB/s, I imagine light peak will improve on this as well.

8. Amnesiac

Amnesiac 404

Reputations:
    Well I know that USB 3.0 is fast, but what happens if a new iteration of Expresscard can do, say, 8GB/s?

9. useroflaptops

Reputations:
    USB 3.0 can reach speeds almost up to almost 5GB/s. Thats pretty darn fast, in fact expresscard 2.0 is only projected to be 5GB/s itself.

So therefore it is a complete waste considering it actually takes space up in the physical laptop itself, that can either be used to hold an additional HDD or be used to add other features, reduce volume of the laptop, and also reduce the cost of the laptop (since royalties dont need to be paid). everything makes sense to get rid of it for the future.

It won't. With that logic, why cant we expect the same for USB or other alternative I/Os?

Heres the other fact, the next gen expresscard is expresscard 2.0 and it has nominal transfer speeds of 5GB/s. This is barely any faster than USB. Plus it wastes a heck of a lot of space on the laptop. I will rather have a 1.8" HDD in that space, thank you very much.

10. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would rather have the port. It gives you lots of options. You can always get a bigger and faster HDD, why do you need 2?

Also using a video card with USB will make your CPU work too hard and so the performance goes down. You can buy notebooks that don't have express card slots, why not go for one of those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.