TIE Fighter - that's right - calling all pilots

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol, TIE Fighter was WAY better than X-Wing.

But Freespace 2 is better than both, especially with the opensource mods and new graphics.

2. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    I remember finding Dark Forces at the Star Wars gift shop in Disney World. I didn't buy it there, but I ordered it (FROM A CATALOG!) when I got home.

I still have never played TIE Fighter, but I remember my dad bringing home X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter because he thought I'd like it. Good times.

Space sims are too rare now. What happened to the games like Freespace and Wing Commander and X-Wing?

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    X-Wing is a great game too. I know I have the CD, but I don't know where it is. I think I'll buy a new one off of Amazon.

I am playing TIE Fighter via DOSBOX. I think the version I have can run from Windows 95/98 though, it is the Collector's edition CD-ROM.

4. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    X-Wing was my first "multiplayer game". A friend of mine had it but he had a very crappy joystick. Flying and using the keyboard at the same time was almost impossible. So we played together. He was the helmsman and I was tactical/ops. ;)

Some years later I had X-Wing vs. Tie which was fun too but not as much as X-Wing. I somehow found it wrong to bring down multiple Star Destroyers or Calamaris with a single Y-Wing or Gunboat.

5. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    Are the Amazon versions original boxes? Was there like, some vault at Skywalker Ranch with a stockpile of 90's Star Wars games? Bizarre.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I have an original CD and manual. No box however. Wasn't too hard to find on Amazon.

7. Thisisalamp

Thisisalamp Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They need to make simulators like these again...! The only time where one can truly be, an Imperial scum.

I still have my joystick for X-Wing Alliance..! :D If a new game that's quite similar to these 3 games, I'd drop all my money on it.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    You must get the CD and run it from DOS like a real man. Otherwise it is not an authentic experience!

10. Portman01010

Portman01010 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh the memories this brings back :). I broke a few joysticks back in the day playing this as a kid (and not from mishandling, just from using them to death).

I've got my original box with everything in it. I love the "tutorial" that was embedded in the Marak(?) Steele story and how it had renders and screenshots in with it. I wish they did stuff like that now instead of all the in game tutorials but alas, that's a lost age. Have to have the manual like you mentioned Charles if you're playing the original release, since it has the copy protection characters in the footnotes of each page.

I can remember going to the local Walmart and buying this as a kid. Back when the PC section of electronics was HUGE! :) I also remember pestering my parents to drive me about 30 miles away to buy Defender of the Empire, the first expansion pack for it. I have the collector's edition CD release too, it's the version based on the XvT engine so graphics and music are different (loss of iMuse but "better" graphics). I can remember dual booting Windows 2000 and 98 at one point just to play it again.

It's funny that you had the urge to play this again, just the other week I was telling my dad how I will randomly want to yell out "Full Speed to Killamar!" and why. Anyone that's played it a few times will get that ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.