1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Three Strike Comcast Rule?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by FivePops, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FivePops

FivePops Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For all of you that download "somewhat" copywrited material, do you use Comcast?

In the matter of the last year, I have received 2 letters, one in last March for downloading some material. The letter spells out the whole works...

-Filename
    -My IP
    -Date/Time of DL
    -Location of Torrent Tracker
    -Location of file on my computer

In August I received a second letter for downloading some more material.

Someone told me about a 3 strike rule, meaning that if copywrited material comes across their network into my IP, that Comcast service would be shut off permanently at my address.

Are these threats true and real?

I have been selective since August, (no movies, no TV, just music)

Anyone been shut off from Comcast? Anyone get a third letter?

2. Eykal

Eykal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have no idea
    but heres a tip, although its not very helpful
    they might do it, they might not
    dont download copyrighted material, buy it
    or just spend a ton of money and get T1, with your own server, then noone can get mad at you! i think...

3. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Wow, Comcast seriously spies on what you download? I mean, I know ISP's have that information but damn, I'm glad I picked Verizon over them.

4. ScifiMike12

ScifiMike12 Drinking the good stuff

Reputations:
    Yup. I got the same message as FivePops. They had my IP, name, tracker, name of the file, and even what program I was using at the time. :/

There was also a message regarding a lawsuit up to $250,000 fine for every movie I had downloaded. Let's just say my parents weren't too happy regarding that statement.

-Mike

5. Amped24

Amped24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would immediately drop comcast just because of that. Who knows what kind of sensitive data you could be sending or receiving (CC numbers/ bank accts/ paypal information). A lot of ISPs don't allow even their own employees to look and see what has been downloaded and to where, a few of these companies are Road Runner, Cox, Qwest, Verizon. I would recommend getting diffrent service, who's to know what some random comcast employee will do with your cc info.

6. FivePops

FivePops Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All this is to save Comcast from getting sued from the RIAA or MPAA.

7. Amped24

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter there are privacy laws, theres no way for the RIAA or MPAA or the government to require any information on to which your downloading or uploading unless they get a warrant. To get a warrant they would need probable cause which they can sometimes get but it's very costly and time consuming. They have done it to a few people to set examples but other then that just be smart, keep your ip hidden and use a decent firewall.

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Yeah the spying sucks, but what do you expect for "stealing" someones intellectual property?

9. Amped24

Reputations:
    What about the people who aren't stealing intellectual property their cc numbers/ bank accts/ personal data are still being looked at.

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    VERY much agreed, but I was referring to the OP and the illegal downloads. Personally Im glad to hear about this information stealing as my comcast contract is almost up and verizon is laying FIOS (finally) to my small neighborhood so they will loose yet another customer due more then just poor service. How they have the right to spy on peoples lives and still maintain a successful business is beyond me, but at least I will not be contributing to said success in the near future.