Thread with lots of video links very slow...

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by hmscott, Jun 3, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hi, as the density of videos per post went to 8, the loading of the full display of a page takes a long time. So I put the video's in spoiler brackets hoping it would help, but not so much.

Can the number of posts to display per page be reduced - I don't see how to configure that from my end.

Or, should I spread out the video links a bit thinner than 8 per post, say to 4 or 6 links per post? That will increase the number of posts in the thread, but reduce the number of video links per post and therefore load time per page.

What do you think would help?

Thanks!, Scott

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ncements-video-articles.805342/#post-10539380

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Was the link below supposed to be an example of the issue you're reporting? Right now that link open and loads everything for me in about 5 seconds. Granted it's a bit slower than regular threads but perfectly fine imo.
    Maybe the forum was somewhat sluggish at the time you've posted this? How does that thread load now?

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's odd, sometimes the page loads relatively quickly, sometimes it times out. When it does timeout it will continue doing that for a while.

I am refreshing the page, editing / saving posts to add new videos as they arrive - sometimes within minutes of each other and sometimes long periods of time apart. I seem to be there to notice the times where timeout anomalies show themselves.

I had up a notice to post if anyone has problems loading the page, and then the pages started loading much faster... so I took that post down. Then it slowed down again - I guess I should put that notice back up ;)

Thanks for checking and letting us know what you see!

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    I have my preferences to show newest first, while default is the reverse, so my link might point to the opposite end of the thread to you as I am seeing, so to test go to the end of the thread to the newest posts as those are all sequentially organized with 10 in a row with 8 videos each, for me that's page 1 for you probably page 10 (or 11 by now).

Right now it's resolving / loading the whole page coming out of editing a post the quickest I have ever seen it do so... it's almost like something has changed - load I guess. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    @ATG I'm still getting timeout's, and being as how I get them others must get them too...

Is there something I can do, like get a waiver to allow me to reduce the video's per post to 4-6 instead of 8, that means a page of 10 posts will go down from 80 video's to 40-60, that should help, right?

6. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Still working fine over here. It never times out, page load is slower when it's full of videos it might take up to 10 seconds but that's expected in my opinion. Considering what I see and the fact that there are no reports from other users(so far) there isn't a problem from my point of view.
    I'm using vB3 theme, browser is Chrome with uBlock and HTML5&Flash with autoplay disabled. What is your setup?

Number of videos per post is most likely a global parameter, no offence but I highly doubt an admin would change that because of one complain.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    I don't need the global changed, I just need permission to spread them out less than 8 per post. If that's ok, I'll drop it down to 6 per and see if that helps.

I haven't seen this anywhere else here, but I haven't run across 8 x 10 videos in a page before either.

I've tried it with Opera, Chrome, Firefox, all running ublock Origin and Privacy Badger so it's not the Ad's slowing it down, unless there is some kind of time out due to blocking the ad's, but like I said I don't see that elsewhere - the only difference is the number of videos per post and posts / page.

I've seen lots of complaints over time about the ad's slowing things down, and if I disable uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger I get an even worse horrendous slowdown on any page I tried to load just now.

I would imagine there are a large percentage of people with much slower computers, phones, and tablets that would have trouble loading these pages too.

It may be the reason we aren't getting any complaints, is that those viewers have already moved on after getting frustrated waiting for pages to load...

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Hey, the discussion is over here :)

What complaints? Noone but you have posted anything.

I've been fighting with the slowness, trying to figure out a way around it.

@ATG says he doesn't see a problem, but I've now tried a dozen devices and they all have problems.

I am taking the video's out of spoiler brackets, I tried to put them in them to see if that would help, but it made it worse.

Next step is to change videos from 8x post to 4 per post to see if going from 80 video's / page to 40 video's / page helps.

I can't just delete video's that "aren't" important, as who am I to say what is important to anyone else :)

Those people that made the products, showcased them, and the people that video'd them thought they were important.

So, best I can do is try to make it better, and moving the video's back out of the spoiler brackets has fixed it for me. Still slow, but doesn't timeout. Moving to 4 video's per post should solve it.

9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    This reloading problems is with my phone. Haven't yet tested much with my pc:cool:

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had problems with phone, tablet, and a couple of computers :)

Try again, with out the spoiler brackets it's quicker and doesn't hang, you still have to initially scroll though black boxes where the video's are until they fill in, but at least you can interact with the page.

Let me know if it's better.

When I get the ok from @ATG I'll spread out the video's, and that should make the pages load /. resolve quicker still.