Thoughts on this potential PC build?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Prototime, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that's good news! Now that your laptop is working again you might want to delay building your desktop until the next generation of NVidia cards come out, that way you can save some money by not having to buy a "tide you over card" now. That's assuming the price of other components doesn't rise substantially between now and then - I think SSD prices are still falling (but you're not buying one of those now that I think about it), RAM prices are still falling.

2. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I'm watching this video now, make sure you choose RAM carefully to get the most of the CPU/gaming performance:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Even kits rated for the same speed and latency performed better or worse on certain motherboards. Steve says check the QVL listing for the motherboard to make sure you're choosing a RAM kit that is actually listed on the list.

You probably want to get at least a 3600Mhz kit judging by their results.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Prototime likes this.
  3. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice! At least this buys you some time.

Prototime likes this.
  4. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup, I've decided to hold off on building a desktop until the next-gen GPUs come out or my GS43VR dies for real. If the latter happens, I'm glad I now have my parts picked out and have gotten some great feedback on it. If my laptop holds out long enough for Ampere GPUs to come out, I'll probably make a few changes to my parts list and come back to this forum for some more advice.

This has been a great learning experience and I'm now more confident than ever in building my eventual rig. Thanks, all!

Robbo99999 likes this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    That's great, it's worked out well timing wise that you don't have to build right now! Yes, give us an update on your prospective build when the next gen NVidia GPUs come out (or your laptop dies), resurrect this thread! :)

Prototime likes this.