Thoughts on NP7850/N850hp6

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Tahimik, May 3, 2017.

1. unforgiven93

unforgiven93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. How difficult would this be? I have some experience with building desktops/switching up parts in laptops but I am by no means an expert. Do you by any chance know what LCD cable I would need specifically?

2. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a bit of work, not too bad, but then I suppose it really boils down to your comfort and experience. Routing the cable is sometimes annoying.

Since we don't offer the 120Hz panel on this system, sadly I do not have the part number of the cable for reference. :vbfrown:

3. unforgiven93

Reputations:
    I see I see. I'm hovering over the order button, I just need to know what cable I would need for this. How could I find out? I will order the P650 instead with the 120Hz pre-installed if I can't figure all of this out before ordering. The P650 with the pre-installed 120Hz will cost me about $150-$200 more than buying the N850hp6 and replacing myself.

4. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Than better buy p650 with 120hz display.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

5. unforgiven93

Reputations:

So I just did some more research, and both the LG LP156WF6-SPK3 (standard 60Hz screen in this model) and the B156HTN05.2 (the 120Hz panel I want to put in) have a 30 pin eDP connector in the bottom right. Does this mean the cable it comes with should work with the replacement screen?

6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the pinout is the same, then you should be good. I may have confused the 40 pin eDP cables for going with the 120Hz panels, I think they're actually intended for the 4K panels now that you mention it.

7. DanXbix

DanXbix Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its quite a easy job with correct cable & lcd.. I upgraded mine to a 4k panel.. took about 40mins

8. unforgiven93

Reputations:

Alright, I'm gonna try it. I ordered this screen: Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/401323709773

Doesn't say anything about being 120Hz, but it is the same model number so it should be. I will report back in a week :)

Prostar Computer likes this.
  9. unforgiven93

Reputations:
    Checking back in! It works, plug and play. Brightness controls still work too.

It was very easy to install, took 10 minutes. Also installed 8 more GB of RAM and a 512GB m.2 SSD I had laying around. I love it, the screen makes all the difference in the world for fast paced games.

My only issue is that the GPU runs very hot. I was playing Overwatch to test the PC out and with the battery mode set to high performance, fan speed set to auto, my GPU hit 88C and was still rising when I exited the game to figure out what was going on. It was not very loud, so I assumed the fan just wasn't running at full speed for some reason. I found the fan speed setting and set it to maximum, and I was right. The automatic fan speed was not past probably 70% for some reason, even though the GPU was at 88C. The "Custom" fan profile option does not allow for any fan curve, just a max fan speed and min temperature where they will turn on. For some reason, on the custom fan speed option, you cannot push the fan speed past a max of 80%. Anyone know why automatic/custom don't seem to go any higher than 70 or 80%? Temperatures were fine (hovering around 80C) when I forced max fan speed, just wish I could get it to do that by itself.

Would repasting help me get better thermals?

Solid built 120 Hz, GTX 1060, 7700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 128GB SSD = $1185. Insane deal. Love it so far.

10. HeardEmSay

HeardEmSay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Set battery mode to Balanced..undervolt your cpu using Intel XTU(less heat anywhere is better)..definitely re-paste....I re-pasted a few times with alternate methods....The X method with a decent amount of paste seemed to work the best..... CPU Temps for me are really good, but the GPU does get a little hot...I'm currently playing OW as well and noticed it gets in the 80's range, but FN+1 maxes the fans out which tbh isn't all that loud so it doesn't make a difference to me.....I stay between 78-80 in OW(which heavily taxes the GPU) in 1-2 hour sessions and the CPU in the 60's...Anytime I play OW, I just max fans before I play..Easier to replace fans than soldered hardware...

Bunions and unforgiven93 like this.