Thoughts on NP7850/N850hp6

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Tahimik, May 3, 2017.

1. unforgiven93

unforgiven93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I already undervolted CPU and the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut just arrived so I will be repasting tonight :). I didn't know about the FN+1 fan maxing option! That is perfect. I just don't understand why the automatic setting doesn't do it on its own. I'm just glad I don't have to open that menu to max the fans every time. Thanks man!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will be to keep a ceiling on the usual noise level.

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. crystal6tak

crystal6tak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my unit a few days ago, got it without storage and Intel 8265, will put up a review and buying experience later. For now though, I'm observing some interesting behaviors which I'm wondering if anyone can explain/solve.

First thing, MSI afterburner doesn't play well with this laptop. On my first W10 install, I installed the latest Nvidia driver and let W10 automatically download the rest. Then installed afterburner 4.3.0, the GPU temperature at idle jumps around from 0 to regular readings. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    The entire afterburner UI also stutters every 3 second. Temperature reading is normal when GPU is utilized, such as in a game.

Then I tried beta 4.4.4, a bit better, now GPU temperature still jumps, but jumps at around a 5 degree variance.

Then I reinstalled W10 again, this time disabled any automatically installed driver and installed all the drivers provided by sager. (L) Now with 4.4.4, no GPU temperature is picked up at all lol. Reinstalled 4.3.0. Same behavior as before, the jumping to 0 thing.

Another issue is the fan noise. There doesn't seem to be a curve, but goes in steps. The fans can go completely off, but the slightest load (even just mouse movement) cause the fan to kick in at a very noticeable level...

The fan control provided by sager in the control center is extremely limited, with only three options:
    [​IMG]
    Tested it for a bit, so what happens is, if temperature rises above 60, the fan starts spinning, the fan will continue to spin until it hits the fan stop temp, where it stops. So if temperature hits 60, and drops to 55c, the fan will continue to spin until 50c is hit. After undervolting, and setting start temp at 70, then stop temp at 60. It's alright so far. No fan spinup during idle/light workload.

Anyone know a way to create a custom fan curve that allows speed up to 100% though (by default it goes to 80%)? Pretty sure something like speedfan won't work laptop.

I've used intel XTU to undervolt the CPU by -0.125v (load around 1.0v, idle around 0.6v. This drops load temperature (with prime95 26.6) from 88c to 78c which is nice.

As for the GPU, with heaven benchmark, with default fan settings it runs at 92-93c with clocks fluctuating around 1500mhz. Using FN + 1 to max out fan speed, it runs at 86-87c with clocks at around 1530mhz. Anyone know how to lower power limit, or undervolt the gtx 1060 mobile?

I'll be repasting in a few weeks, hopefully that helps the CPU and GPU. Hopefully this helps the GPU temp a bit.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. Bunions

Bunions Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm eyeballing this machine - Hard.

Hard enough to get me to make a forum account instead of my usual lurking lol.

How is the chasis build quality? As a frame of reference my NP9150 is now dead after years of faithful service. How does the build compare?

I know that there's a 15in available with an aluminum body (NP8156?) but its coming with some bells and whistles I'm trying to avoid on price point for now (SSD G Sync). I figure I can spring for a SSD later, G Sync I just don't care enough about. The extra 8 gigs RAM is nice / wanted, but again I'll be adding that after the fact.

Will I not love this new 7850 as much as my old faithful chasis wise? Or is the build of similar quality? I read around that it had "flex" in spots so I thought I'd ask.

6. crystal6tak

Reputations:
    My NP7850 is the first ever gaming laptop I've owned, so I don't know the standard.

What I can tell you is I think the chassi quality is decent enough, doesn't feel fragile when I'm carrying it around. When typing, if you're just using enough force to actuate the keys, there's no flex and the screen has no wobble. If you press hard the middle section does cave in a bit and screen wobbles slightly.

Did a video:

I don't dare to twist the laptop as a whole (I know reviewers do it, but I feel uncomfortable bending my laptop like that, sorry!)

I haven't written a full review of the laptop (yet) since I haven't repasted, nor figure out the all the quirks yet, hopefully I'll get that out in a few days.

Bunions likes this.
  7. Bunions

Bunions Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. Looks about right to me.

How's sound quality? I always felt that it was rather good for a laptop on my old Sager.

8. crystal6tak

Reputations:
    Speakers are usable for watching videos for youtube. I wouldn't listen any music with it. Bass sounds really off, muffled even. I have a JBL flip 3, so I have some idea what above average speaker should sound like.

Audio jack output is what I'd expect from motherboard audio. Decent enough, I have no problem plugging in a IEM and listening some music with it. I'm not an audiophile by any mean, but I do own a fulla 2 (dac/amp) which I find offer a better sound quality (can't tell you exactly how though, it sounds....cleaner?).

By default, the sound blaster 3 cinema software adds a weird echo sound effect. Be sure to turn that off if you get the laptop.

I barely use speakers, either IEM or headphone for me, so for the price of $985 (removed HDD, added intel 8265 which I'm regretting), I'm satisfied with it.

Notebookcheck.net has a full review of it (I believe someone linked it a few pages before), most of what they say are correct and I agree with them (they got the european model, which is why they paid a crazy $1378 for it).

Bunions likes this.
  9. Bunions

Bunions Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes
    Yeah I read thru that review as best able via Google translate. They were hard on the audio in it as well as fan location, overall temps and build quality to a degree.

Seems the right fan blows out the side and on to a rightie's "mouse use" area. Has that been noticable or an annoyance for you?

10. crystal6tak

Reputations:
    Right now, not so much, although I suspect it's partly due to the bad paste job. I'm hitting 96c on my gpu when I play overwatch. So heat isn't getting dissipated. Once I do the repaste and heat is properly being taken out by the fan, then I'll comment on how bad it is