Thoughts on new laptop cooling pad

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stashandariston, Oct 18, 2017.

1. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The U3 stock fans move very little air; add to that the restrictive surface of the U3 and you're not going to have a very effective cooler at noticeably lowering temps. I had a U3 modded with 12V fans (I think I mentioned this earlier), but the real airflow didn't occur until I actually cut out the aluminum surface in addition to modding the bottom of my laptop.

Here's my thread with various tests I ran (check page 5 for the final product):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/another-coolermaster-u3-bottom-tray-mod.789298/

ronferri likes this.
  2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That looks really good, especially for a home cut. I like it.

3. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks. I used a rotary tool (a Dremel clone) with a cutting disc and slowly cut the holes. It wasn't perfect which is why I used those brackets to cover the imperfections. I must have gone through an entire roll of those discs though as they would wear out quickly or simply crack. A big enough hole saw would probably be a better option.

In retrospect, a U3 purchased just for this purpose is overkill; you can build your own stand with materials like aluminum, plexiglass, or even wood, for a lot cheaper. Another option is one of those cheap Ikea laptop stands but their angle is rather steep for my liking.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:

I used to have one of those rolling floor stands and thought about cutting into that, but didn't because I accidentally dropped a couch onto it and crushed one of the casters and its guide nut, and because it was made of plywood with some sort of vinyl/latex looking veneer and I figured that would look like crap when I was done with it. But a homebrew plexi stand might look really cool if done right.

kosti likes this.
  5. asm1

asm1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

mind you it is an alienware so I guess we shouldn't be surprised :bigwink:

6. Commandor

Commandor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got a cooling pad before, honestly it was not that effective.

kosti and hmscott like this.
  7. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Mileage may vary. Some cooling solutions definitely work better than others though. And sometimes that tiny bit of extra heat is enough. I've seen some really weird and inefficient cooling solutions that were the difference between overheating and running.