Thoughts on A71 and A51 replacing our iphone 8s.

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by kojack, Sep 28, 2020.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am having major connection issues with my iphone 8. I am getting bored with my iphone as well. I have been using my samsung Tab A 8 for the past month while on the couch relaxing and I am enjoying it alot. I don't touch my ipad anymore either. I am wanting a samsung phone since they connect better than other android phones to windows 10. I am looking at getting the A71 for me and the A51 for DW. I have watched many videos and the speed difference compared to the high end models is not enough to shell out for 2 S20s. Also, the same goes for the cameras. And in blind taste tests I prefer the images from the A series at points.

If google had the same full connectivity to windows that samsung has, I would get pixel 4a in a heartbeat. But even then, I lose out on dual sim, sd expansion (a big one for us), and better battery life.

thoughts?

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check the modem version/firmware iOS 13.7 had bad firmware and has LTE coverage issue and you may need to update to ios 14.1 or 14.2.

kojack likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Already done.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My reception seems better on 14.1. Now, the notifications are still weird to me.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, the apple train is still leaving the station soon for me. Thought I could jump on again, but no.

6. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Close to the 51\71 price range, Note 10 lite.
    Superb value, usefullness, photos (ois, 2x, wide). Got one, no 'lite' feeling at all :O)
    Minuses, 1 of the 2 sims gone if using memory card, for my use the internal 128gb (approx 100 available) is fine, & 4G, but as any useful 5G won't come for ages in my regions, zero problems.

Just to say a little more about the pen, amazing tool, works so well after years of note range refinements. Not only for writing & drawing etc, but screen\menu navigation, remote for the camera shutter (great+++) and more. imo this 'lite' is Samsung's hidden (& great value) jewel.

And last but not least, unlike other higher end sam's, flat screen.

edits, added some detailed info.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I need dual sim now. I have been researching the A71 for over a month now and the images from it's camera are just as good, if not better than my 8. I feel the price point, features, and overall value I will get from the A71 (or A7X if it's released before I am ready to purchase) is probably the best out there. I would have gotten the pixel, but it misses on too many things for me.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Reset app permissions. It fixed the issues which mom had when using ios 13.x after upgrading.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My reception is still crap. I am pretty well done with apple. I put my samsung tablet in my jeep and I don't lose signal all the way to a town 30 mins away, on my and my wife's iphone, we lose signal about 10-12 times during a round trip drive. for min at a time. Nah. I am done.

10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    If you have warranty, check with Apple and get device replaced since I believe your baseband/modem might be faulty.