thoughts about buying on Amazon

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenny1999, Aug 11, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Watch the videos, learn from those that are successfully making it happen and are sharing how they do it. There are people out there making it happen for themselves, the difference is they didn't make excuses - they made it happen.

That's how it works. Do it. Make it happen. Hang on and don't give up.

That's how we all make it happen in our lives. There's no time for excuses. Make sure you pick something you like, that's the best way to win whether you make money or not, enjoy what you do, be brave.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Nice platitudes.

Ever watch late night infomercials advertising day trading systems? ITT Technical Institute? Trump University Real Estate 101? Ever been to a multi level marketing meeting? Sure, some people achieve what we would call success, but these ventures are littered with failures to a degree whereby anyone with reasonable thought would not begin to attempt . Starting any venture into something that will intuitively require the fortitude you mention, one has to do their due diligence. @2.0 gave his reasons and your response to this is to "watch the videos, learn from those that are successfully making it happen and are sharing how they do it. There are people out there making it happen for themselves.". So maybe these people are making a good income and maybe the aren't. Has any one of them showed their tax returns or any real proof of success? It's the internet and these people can say anything for clicks. And assuming some are, how many, and how many aren't/haven't? You have to think about these things before ever starting something that requires time, money, and effort. And when you do find a potentially viable course of action that you feel meets your skill set, then by all means you press on, don't give up, etc.etc. Now in your defense, you can often look at anything out there in get caught up with all the barriers and reasons not to do something. But in this case, I'd say it's just some little hobby that may generate a poor income to time spent, at best.

KING19 and saturnotaku like this.
  3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But one thing they never say in the videos if they managed to sell the items. Like 2.0 said "Extreme risk, high failure rate", its like the storage auction business where people bid on abandoned storage units filled with junk and hope to make a profit on selling the items. Its decent for some extra income if you know what you're doing but not good enough to replace a full time job for obvious reasons. Also people who make videos on youtube saying they made 6 figures on buying and selling items are obviously lying and give people false hope.

hmscott, Fishon and saturnotaku like this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They could be making six figures...off Youtube advertising and the clickbait contained therein.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    And the guy has a brick and mortar shop to sell this stuff as well.

Who knew? :D

[​IMG]

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually they do have videos showing they are selling things, and they point out the items that will cover the cost of the investment that are easy to move based on previous experience.

Here's an example of "a shipping day" with sales numbers:

EBay sales and 90% off clearance at Walmart!
    Resale Rabbit
    Published on Sep 3, 2019
    My eBay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/jlnoutlet

Of course nothing is a sure thing, and like all self-employment it's all up to you to make it happen, so you need to want and enjoy being the captain of your own ship. No laying about between on the clock hours and collecting bi-weekly paychecks.

I've personally known several people that have changed careers to do similar things - books, toys, collectables reselling, and they are all eating fine over decades.

I'm not necessarily recommending doing this if you already aren't drawn to doing similar things. These people all started innocently enough, garage sales, returns pallents, collecting hobbies from youth, but some are drawn into it by friends or aquantences or find it while hunting down alternatives for income.

For some the nickle and dime income too supplement a full-time job grows to big and they go full time. They always have cash, and they are always buying new shipments to sort through, cash out their costs, and listing for the long term sales - sometimes years later.

Anyway, I was only originally pointing out that Amazon doesn't resell returns, and then showing where those things end up and how they get recycled into the economy. I started small and it's going full-time. ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    So you do this for a living? Tell us more.