This might be stupid, but i want your opinion - Water cooler in a notebook

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Al_Jourgensen, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Al_Jourgensen

Al_Jourgensen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone please?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I wouldnt know about fan control, but there are external power adapters for fans.

I would look up the Cooler Master U3 Fan mods to see the various examples and most of which provide links / part lists.

3. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    I just want to say that it´s possible to put a water cooler in your notebook, and have extreme good results

After making several attempts, like applying Thermal Grizzly Condunaut (Liquid Metal), the best I got on the GPU were 83º. Polish with Car polish the heatsinks, given that to remove this type of paste is only possible this way and 5 hours later in each one ..... I tested Artic silver 5, the worst effect ever paste, .... sandpaper the heatsinks like mirrors, send it to Clevo ... etc, etc, etc .... I thought of a water cooler after watching a video on Youtube. I bet on the Cooler Master Liquid 280 Pro, I tested on the top of the heatsinks first, I got 80º, so I applied it directly on the chip and didn´t get a big change ..... 90's ..... I decided then one more time .. .. looked again for the best thermal paste possible .. and based on ceramic, the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut my friends, after applied and only with the heatsink, the temp went down from the 90º to an astounding 78º!. : Post this, I decided to make 2 small plates to put the tabs better, made of aluminium to hold the water cooler better, as you can see in the photos.

I'm having a temp. maximum at this time of 63º.

With this I say goodbye, and I can confirm that it is possible to put a water cooler in a notebook and lower temperatures to results better than a desktop

As for mobility (i don´t have this problem), just cut the tabs, put the cover and you are ready to go. takes 5 minutes

Thank you all

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      708.2 KB
      Views:
    hmscott and ThatOldGuy like this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you seen the Alienware 17 watercooling mod?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaug1337, Maleko48 and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IDK what to say, except you got what you bought, desktop parts crammed into a small laptop, and it's gonna run hot - and very noisy.

I try to warn people away from these Clevo LGA laptops as often as possible, as this is the reaction from normal people when they try to actually live with one of these heaters.

Normal people, not "enthusiasts" that seem immune to the realities of noise, heat, and bulk required to cool effectively, can't stand the noise. And, even the enthusiasts get shuffled off out of ear-shot when using them, or get yelled at - louder than normal so they can hear their roommates complaints. :)

My recommendation would be to stop right now before you hack up your laptop, and return it for a refund or store credit and get a nice BGA laptop that has plenty of power, but doesn't need to flex fans quite so loud.

Something like an MSI GT75 with an 8750 or 8850 CPU - maybe stay away from the temptation to get the 8950HK CPU as that unit has 460w of power supplies to power it, so I think that one is gonna be loud and noisy too. :)

Maybe drop down from the 1080 to a 1070 too? Keeping with the theme of "powering down" to reduce noise.

Or, maybe build a nice desktop in a "silent" case, that's what I do, with plenty of baffling and low noise fans - I still prefer Noctua large coolers for LGA cooling over water cooling.

You could Frankenstein up a water cooled laptop, and then you'll never be able to sell it, or maybe just scale back a little and get a nice quiet laptop that will still give you good gaming performance. :)

Maleko48 and Starlight5 like this.
  6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    If anyone wants some custom copper parts cut (2D only, not 2.5D like in the images above), and can provide 1:1 scale files of the contours to be cut, I can quote costs on the water jet cutter I run at work.

Maleko48, ThatOldGuy and hmscott like this.
  7. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    WOW where can i get that part???? :)

8. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    bring it on

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @alexhawker just offered to quote some.

Otherwise they are up for preorder on the 51nb website.

The standalone heat-sink is marked at ~£135 where as the set (incl. pump & radiator) is marked at ~£200

https://forum.51nb.com/thread-1825459-1-1.html

Rengsey R. H. Jr. and hmscott like this.
  10. Al_Jourgensen

Reputations:
    would this fit on a P775TM1-G?

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  11. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    its not a question of fitting, its a question of design.

hmscott likes this.
  12. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Note that I'm talking about 2D only - the part shown has some milling done to achieve two thicknesses in different areas of the part.

Maleko48, hmscott and ThatOldGuy like this.
  13. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you are this out of your depth, I don't think going into such a serious mod is a good idea for you. Yes you *could* do it, but why? Unless you do it right in a professional way it's gonna be jank af and really defeat the entire point of sinking all that money into a "laptop". If you are dead set on doing it, the cheapest and most straight forward way is by low-temp soldering copper tubing to run across your heat sinking plates as has been shared in those other mod pics. Even those gigantic couplers are not matched for the system (no offense). At the very least you really need to study up and make sure you absolutely know your hardware and interface compatibilities 100% inside and out. As others have stated, you will probably never sell it once you take it that far. Hopefully you have the right tools and skills to not ruin it completely- drills, files, dremel, torches, oven, clamps, bending jigs, etc. Beware not to overheat existing heatpipes or you could really ruin your cooling system and make it worse than stock- they have a limit to how much they can be heated when working around them. I would have to agree with hmscott's post on this matter.

These are the kind of mods I would reserve for old laptops on their death beds that you want to have some fun with and learn. ;)

P.S.) You could save yourself a lot of money by running your own wires and soldering them direct effectively bypassing the connectors on the ends. If you really insist on using specific connector tips, why not just cut them off of salvaged hardware at a much cheaper or free cost to you? It really depends how modular/portable you want the final product to be.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018