This is pretty offtopic....BUT how the heck do people get more views (YT)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JRE84, Jan 5, 2018.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a hypnosis channel. on youtube and am wondering how I can get more views. even I have troubles finding my videos on youtube. So does anyone have a link to a article showing how to create and optimise videos so they get more views....thanks a million....I hope one day to make a living doing what I love. :) :eek:

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    filming dead people seems to be effective

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Success on YouTube is a lot like gambling, you have to be very lucky.

However, learn to use keywords effectively for a start. Secondly, get involved in groups that may have an interest in the types of videos you're creating, and tastefully introduce your videos to them. Don't spam, just respond to people who might have a question about something and your video or part of it may answer their question or fit their interest.

But most importantly be different and be creative. I am by no means an expert but have run several channels over the years for fun, and not too hard to get up to about 1000 subscribers, and several hundred thousand views over the course of a year or so if you post content regularly. And be open minded and accept fair criticism to improve your videos.

It's a lot of work, like a LOT of work to be successful on YouTube. You may get a viral video or two if you're lucky, but to have it as a job, you need to post videos several days a week, if not every day, with unique content. Like any self employed job expect to put in 10-12 hours a day six or seven days a week. Hard work does have its rewards. But also put that time to good use, not just spinning your wheels. Review other channels people have started. See if you can get a reference or a shout out from another similar channel.

Making money on YouTube is an entirely different challenge. If you rely on YouTube Adsense alone, you can expect about $1,000 for every million views. So, you do the math, probably need 3-4 million monthly views to be somewhat "full time" income as a start. Many users have used Patreon as a source of income as well as getting their own sponsors and they provide their own ads within their videos and not relying on YouTube adsense which 90% of people block those kinds of ads these days anyhow.

Just making a quick unedited video or sloppy or quick editing and throwing it on YouTube usually won't get you anywhere. Amateur level of video production on YouTube has become significantly advanced for those with regular content. So learn to get familiar with a good video editor.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How To Grow with 0 Views and 0 Subscribers
    Published on Feb 13, 2014
    If you have a brand new YouTube channel with absolutely no views and no subscribers, getting a little bit of traction can be frustrating. Here's a few tips on how to get your channel's first viewers and subscribers. With some effort and valuable video content, your channel should begin to grow and, before you know it, your videos will grow to thousands of views!
    https://www.youtube.com/videocreators
    http://www.youtube.com/derraleves

https://courses.videocreators.com/courses/secret-building-youtube-audience

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  5. JRE84

Reputations:
    well i went from 7 views to 9600 in a week.....is that any good......im thinking 1000 a day isn't bad but then again some videos have 3billion views

Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's all relative. :)

If you find other channels with compatible video's, complimentary or same subject, you can add each others channels in to the channel list, and boost each others traffic.

There are consortium's of channels, and if you have good consistent content - even if you have low hit counts right now - they can pick you up in their group and share viewers - driving viewers higher for everyone.

Then there's special events, live events, dual coverage events where you are guests in each others channels, it goes on and on, be creative :)

There are other videos and written suggestions, and those consortiums also have wise experienced people that can help advise you how to improve your set, video's, audio, remote set ups for interviews, build videos with multi-view camera shots.

Rather than nothing to do, you have an infinite number of possibilities.

And, don't forget about Ad management, courting vendors for sponsorship - quite often they will look for you and the consortiums do that as well, you can get discovered :)

Patreon, Kickstarter, Floatplane, and more - link up with live gaming sites, etc etc.

Have fun :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. JRE84

Reputations:
    thanks... I signed up for petreon.

it is at 10 700 views in 8 days

hmscott likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not to mention the massive amount of advance planning that needs to be done if you're even thinking about making a go of YT as a "career." With very few exceptions, the average shelf life of reasonably successful personalities seems to be about 3-5 years before they fade away due to burnout or other circumstances.

One case that really sticks out to me is that of Barnacules Nerdgasm. The guy who started the channel was a senior developer/engineer at Microsoft who, like a lot of folks, started his channel as a hobby. He grew a massive following. His videos were interesting, the presentation was excellent, and he just seemed like a genuinely nice guy. But he was part of the great MS purge that happened in 2014 (IIRC), where he decided to take on YT as a full-time occupation. For the first while he kept up regular, high-quality content, which saw his subscriber base continue to grow. Then after a series of circumstances that were both beyond and within his control, his content slowed to a trickle, and since 2016 his channel has been pretty flat, essentially stopping shy of the 1 million sub mark. Now for all intents and purposes, he's a Twitch streamer who only puts up the occasional, poorly edited video on YT.

I hate to play armchair quarterback for a guy's life, but I will guarantee you that he would be well over a million subs if he would have kept his videos going as a hobby/supplemental income and found another full-time job outside the house. I say this because I've been there. I got let go from an amazing job and tried to go it alone in the aftermath. It was awesome for the first couple months, but it started going downhill fast. I got myself out of the house and into another job where I could continue to do my freelance work on the side, and it's been awesome.

Dr. AMK and JRE84 like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here's a good example of what it takes, to stick it out, remain consistent and connect the past through to the present - and on through the future - continuing to grow...and what a few years of effort can bring... :)

His first video...2010

Aint No Rest For The Wicked Cover (Acoustic)

6 years later...

"Ain't No Rest for the Triggered" - Social Justice: The Musical

Notice how he keeps the attitude, no need to "clean things up", through to the present:

TAYLOR SWIFT HAS WRONG OPINION! - Ray Gun Recap

And, how the fan's love him :)

Mia Skates 3 hours ago
    "Post another video you disgusting cunt"

447,014 subscribers • 55,974,888 views
    Joined Nov 8, 2007

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Near as I can tell, you either need to be entertaining and highly controversial, entertaining and have extremely high production quality, or find a topic, find that topic's sub on Reddit, and then make videos that are 10:01 long where you pretty much read the top comments in the top threads there like they are your opinions/ideas and then post them back in to that sub.

Dr. AMK likes this.