This close to pulling the trigger!

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by vahdyx, Mar 25, 2019.

1. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok, so before you pull the trigger on any new hardware, have you tried in home streaming? If you aren't playing competitive games, you could just stream your desktop to any crappy machine in your living room and still be around your family. I used to do that all the time. Then the volcano is in your office and the streaming device is running ice cold, can have any specs, and long battery life. Steam streaming can even be done outside the home network now I believe. So if you have a good upload speed and "on the go" equates to good download speeds, you could play anywhere on an ultrabook.

2. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes but I don't know what it is with my house but it drops frames all too frequently. I mean it's playable for sure but the drop that gets me killed is maddening. One example was playing Fallout 4 and I was fighting it up when I lost packets. When it recovered I had died and didn't save for what seemed like days. I get it, it's my fault but still.

I called a few guys to run an ethernet cable from our basement to the living room but they wanted $800 to $1200, so I said I'll just get a gaming laptop with that money.

Since I'd still lack the portable gaming aspect of it when I have to travel. Unless I went with a small eGPU. Full disclosure I did buy a Switch for gaming on the go but it doesn't quite satisfy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oof, thats pretty rough. If your wireless router is sitting in the basement then that will definitely kill your connection too. The only way that could be a worse scenario is if you put it on the floor under a desk or something. If the streaming isn't going to work then I guess the gaming laptop is the way to go.

Some thoughts:
    - Dell has a thin and light alienware that is supposed to compete with the razer/gigabyte/msi. I have no idea how good it is, but dell support is the best there is.
    - you returned the msi for the upside down mobo, but also the single channel ram. The gigabyte is single channel as well.
    - you wanted long battery life, or just small? Because you can do better on the small side if you sacrifice the battery life. Bear in mind, that battery life is only really going to help with productivity. Gaming on battery is still <2hrs, and thats limited to 30fps by default (you can of course change that).

4. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 2015 14" AERO was still getting updates in 2018 - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Laptop/AERO-14--GTX-970M-965M#support-dl-driver-vga