This 2020 Ford Mustang High Performance Package Has Focus RS Power: Here Is What Makes It Tick

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hmscott, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    A 4-banger or V6 Mustang wheezer is a no-go. The idea sucks today exactly like it did back in the Mustang II era. Same bad idea for the Camaro RS V6 Z-28 wannabe wuss coupe. Anything less than a high-output 5.0L V8 (at least) with a minimum of 350 HP is rubbish.

hmscott and Arrrrbol like this.
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly - what's the point in a muscle car if it sounds like a food blender? :D

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They have their place. I personally don't care what engine the base model runs, because there will always be the V8 GT+ models. I personally would never own a base model (I have 2 GTs atm), but I consider the base models necessary to make up the rest of the sales needed for Ford to keep the Mustang alive. If they only offered the V8 models they probably wouldn't sell enough and would eventually be discontinued.

hmscott and Convel like this.
  4. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw the anemic 2.3-litre EcoBoost more as Ford's push to take the Mustang global. This side of the pond, we don't get the Shelby Mustang GT500 at all due to stricter emission laws, and newer sport exhausts are starting to sound muted due to stricter noise regulations. Emissions is why the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini are going mild hybrid against their will, with Ferrari now using turbochargers and Lamborghini barely keeping their V12 naturally aspirated for what I assume is the final generation.

I agree completely that a muscle car without a V8 is an empty promise, and I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole. But like Ashlander pointed out, there are people out there who will settle for the Mustang's iconic shape, and that's good for Ford's bottom line.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Fair enough. Some folks are content with all show and no go. I suppose it is good to have something for both customers. It is unfortunate that we struggle to find evidence of that approach to business in high performance notebook computers. There are plenty of examples of all show and no go, and the opposite is on the verge of extinction... leaving hardly any options available for those that value performance as much or more than aesthetics.

Convel likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Another high power Mustang model has been released. :)

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Review — Test Drive of the Most Powerful Mustang Ever
    Edmunds
    Oct 29, 2019
    In this video, we unleash the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500's 760 horsepower on public roads and the racetrack. Carlos Lago takes us through the details of this pony-car brute, from the details of its interior to the hardware that brings it all together, including the new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
    The Shelby GT500 asks for quite a bit of coin, especially when compared to its traditional Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger rivals. But that money buys a combination of staggering performance and drivability that is sure to attract fans. 2020 GT500 Review: The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is a high-performance version of the Mustang coupe available in a single trim level. Essentially a track-ready, street-legal Mustang, it has many performance features not available on the standard-issue car. At a distance, the 2020 Shelby GT500 looks like a Mustang that's been rushed through a speed shop with bad taste and unrestricted access to hastily made CAD files. But look closer and you'll see that the wide fenders, enormous grille and rear wing spoiler have a real purpose: to harness the speed generated by the latest über-Mustang's 760 hp. The expansive fenders contain wider wheels and tires to stick the car to the road better, while the front grille sized like a New York City sidewalk grate helps cool the hard-working supercharged V8 engine. The rear spoiler and assorted lower and side winglets also aid in directing airflow to press the car to the ground. The Shelby GT500 appears well-equipped to reassert itself as the top horse in the stable. Ford developed a new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission specifically for this engine and fitted huge 16.5-inch-diameter front brake rotors clamped upon with six-piston calipers. The adaptive suspension can adjust to various modes, including settings for track-day heroics or drag-race showdowns. This Mustang is clearly a purpose-built car that won't be content with the daily commute. Not that you couldn't use it for that, however. Inside you'll find striking two-tone leather sport seats, microsuede door panel inserts, a 12-inch LCD gauge cluster, the Sync 3 touchscreen infotainment system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and an optional Bang & Olufsen sound system. Vanquishing world-class performance-car competitors need not come at the cost of comfort and convenience. Read more about the Mustang Shelby GT500: https://www.edmunds.com/ford/shelby-g...

2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - Jay Leno’s Garage
    Jay Leno's Garage
    Oct 29, 2019
    The wait is finally over and Jay gets to open up 760 HP of Ford's powerful new American V8 with Ford Director of Icons Dave Pericak.

7. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So the actually did call the new electric SUV the Mustang Mach E. It's been talked speculated to be that for a while, but it's mostly just been based on rumors and unverifiable leaks till today.

What the actual ****. How many people did this have to get green-lit by, who all thought "Yeah, the V8 muscle car crowd would love an electric SUV masquerading as one of their deities". I mean, the SUV looks cool and everything. I like it. But it's not a Mustang, there's absolutely nothing Mustang about it aside from the imitated tribar taillights and the pony emblems. They could have called it ANYTHING else and it would have been a great addition to the Ford lineup, but instead it looks like they are literally going to be marketing it as a Mach E trim of the Mustang. I even saw a promotional image with all the current Mustang lineup with the Mach E at the center.

And the Mustang? Of all cars to do this with, arguably the most iconic car in American, if not global, automotive history. I'm not at all opposed to an electric option'd Mustang utilizing the same chassis as the base and GT. After-all electric is going to be all that's viable by the manufacturers at some point anyway, and an electric Mustang is better than no Mustang. I mean, if they did this and called it a Fusion or something, it wouldn't quite as bad, since at least it'd be targeting a somewhat similar demographic so it'd be a little more appropriate.

[​IMG]

Yes I'm ****ing butthurt about this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Convel and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019