Third-Party Chargers

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Jonty, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonty

Jonty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Does anyone have any experience using third-party AC adapters?

My M4400 charger cable has broken, and it looks like it will take a while to source another 130W unit.

In the meantime I've found a Delta Electronics 90W 19V 4.74A charger. If I stayed away from 3D work etc., would this be okay for everyday use?

I've heard of others using 90W units with their Precisions, but I don't know how they got on.

Thanks in advance.

Jonty

P.S. My current AC adapter is rated as 130W 19.5V 6.3A, if that helps.

2. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It would be fine just be sure to disable battery charging while using it.
    Undervolt your processor, or at least have windows cap processor speed to 70%.
    Avoid heavy tasks until your able to get a 130w AC adapter of sufficient quality.

3. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    Generally I haven't had a problem with third-party chargers. At the very least I use a Targus universal power thing with my x200t every day.

Your problem is that you're using a 90W adapter with a machine that's supposed to take a 130W adapter. If the 3rd party brick is made properly, and the M4400 is only supposed to use 130W adapters, it will underclock itself, etc, automatically and it shouldn't damage anything.

If the 3rd-party brick is not made properly, it might report itself as a 130W or higher, and when you actually pull that kind of power (because the M4400 thinks it can), you'll destroy the brick and bad things will happen.

What's wrong with your stock charger? Aren't you still under warranty?

4. Jonty

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I'll see what Dell say tomorrow, but I'll probably end up getting the 90W as a stop gap and see what happens.

Crimsoned, noted about the charging, thanks for that.

Commander Wolf, thanks for the details, I appreciate it. The end of the stock charger cable started coming apart around the LED after just a few months and has progressively gotten worse. Finally this weekend it got a knock and the plastic casing around the LED area split in two and it now sparks when plugged in ... never a good sign! I'm still under warranty, but last time Dell said the charger is only covered for a year, so tough luck (or words to that effect :)).

Thanks again. If anyone else has any experiences, please chime in!

5. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    This is crap. You should try again. I've had loads of adapters replaced just tens of days before their respective warranties ran out.

6. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed that is bullocks. Try again.

7. Jonty

Reputations:
    Hi guys

Just a quick update. You were right: different rep, different answer. They agreed to replace the charger for free with a refurbished one, which arrived the next day. If they hadn't have told me, I would have guessed it's brand new. It also has a slightly different different than the old one, so here's hoping it's more robust.

Thanks again!