Thinkpad X250

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bluesfella, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acadiel

acadiel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got one.... don't know how I got this price, but it was a pretty sweet deal. That bottom cover though... needed a plastic iPhone blue spudger to open it. Definitely not user friendly to replace my HDD with a SSD.

One annoying thing was that the D-key was halfway broken off (stupid white plastic hinge had one post broken). Since I was about to leave for a business trip, I decided to just order a new key hinge on one of those websites (it's the same keyboard as the X240) and it'll be there to replace when I get back.

Also, got the three year on site with ADP and battery protection from Provantage. Was less expensive than ordering from Lenovo.

2. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, the days of the little slide out hard drive bay on the side are apparently gone. I used that quite a bit...

Sorry to hear about your D-key. I've had numerous issues getting into my bottom covers recently, definitely not user friendly in my opinion.

I should be getting mine on Thursday, can't wait to try it out.

3. pdth

pdth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was so excited to finally pick up my X250 at UPS this morning after its week-long trip from Hong Kong. The first thing I did was try to activate the Sierra WWAN card. It didn't work. After talking with 2 VZW techs and 5 Lenovo techs for much of the day, Im convinced Lenovo has the worst support on earth. Horrible horrible day. The thing is already on its way back for repairs.

Follow-up: Turns out the problem was a fake SIM card provided by Lenovo from the factory. Once I replaced it with a real SIM card from Verizon Wireless, everything worked fine.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. kevroc

Reputations:
    I got my X250 yesterday...
    i3, 3 cell + 6 cell, upgraded to 8gb ram and put my 1tb ssd in there. Had to switch to legacy boot in bios and turned on Virtualization settings.
    Spent most of the time configuring stuff, setting stuff up and running it fairly hard. Fan kicked in quite often, was on wifi all the time with it set to max performance.

Got about 11 - 12 hours out of it. Pretty impressive considering I wasn't trying to save battery much. Overall performance is pretty good, seems a little slow than my other i7 and i5 laptops but not too bad. Added bonus is that it's compatible with the T540p dock.

Can't say enough good things about getting my trackpoint button back!!

Really glad I got in on the 35% off deal, really can't beat the price.

5. pdth

pdth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So far I'm only getting 8-9 hours but I think it's because of Windows indexing. After it settles down I hope it will improve. Lenovo's claim of 20+ seems totally impossible as far as I can tell. I'd like to see if anyone out there is able to do that.

6. pdth

pdth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Once the indexing was finished, the battery life improved to 15.5 hours under my normal usage scenario. This is with wifi connected all day, using mostly MS Office programs and sporadic web searches, plus watching a 90 minute YouTube movie. If I stay connected all day using LTE with wifi deactivated, I get 14.5 hours.

This is a much less power-intensive scenario than the one Lenovo claims to have used to get 20+ hours. But it is still pretty good. Why can't Lenovo simply tell the truth?

7. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    So I got mine on Monday. Installed stuff and trimmed pre-loaded junk, of which there was a TON. Down to 50 installed programs on the Samsung 850 Pro SSD. Added an 8GB ram stick, works fine. The machine was loud, fans at full blast in the beginning, but now it is really silent. A nice upgrade from my X220 (still can't wait for Skylake), love the touchscreen and the FHD resolution is nice but really hope Microsoft and companies like Google and Evernote scale better with Windows 10. Also the webcam, Bluetooth, and fingerprint reader were not on my X220, so they are nice to have.

BTW does anyone know what these programs do and if they are needed?
    • Disable AMT Profile Synchronization Pop-Up (can't remove)
    • Intel Technology Access
    • Lenovo Multimedia and Communications Core Runtime
    • Multifactor Authentication Client from Nok Nok (for the fingerprint reader I assume)

8. bmstrong

bmstrong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  9. Bluesfella

Bluesfella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to be clear, did you replace the 4GB one with an 8GB one?

10. kevroc

Reputations:
    That would be the only possible way...

eighta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.