ThinkPad X240s

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, with the X230 there were some great, but brief, initial coupons that got it close to the end of life X220 prices. You had to jump on it fast, though. That has been far from typical, so we'll see if they do it again.

2. kaede

kaede Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i can't imagine 12,5 inch with FULL HD resolution.

3. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Cannonlake

Reputations:
    Why no? The 11.6" Sony Vaio Pro 11 has a Full HD Screen.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    And the Surface Pro has a 10.6" FHD display. I think it's perfectly usable. It's about time more ~12.5" ultraportables had higher resolution screen options.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yep, FHD should be a must. There are 1800p 13" screens out there.

6. OtherSongs

OtherSongs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm happy with 1366x768 IPS screen on my 12.5" X220.

Higher color gamut I can understand, but why higher rez on a small screen??? Seems a stretch to me.

Pun intended. :)

OTOH if it didn't cost any more, then what the heck! :)

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I've used a FHD Vaio Z for a short period before, and found the high-density screen and the large amount of screen real estate to be very helpful. Fitting two documents side by side, for example, is very important for a lot of the work I do, and that's just not possible at 1366x768. At the same time, it's also highly inconvenient for me to carry my T500 around all day. So, a small 12.5" X-series Thinkpad with a FHD display would be perfect for my usage.

8. specs1212

specs1212 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm also one of those who prefer 1366x768 on a 12 inch screen. I owned an X200 in the past with the 1440x900 high res display but the text from this high PPI display were way too small for my poor eyesight. I keep getting blood-shot eyes after just 1 hr of use and eyesight deteriorated after a few years.

I'm happy that the upcoming X-series will offer a wide range of resolutions and PPIs for everyone to choose from.

As an aside, I wonder if the X240s will be available in the US or only as a China-exclusive product like the X230s was.

9. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm for HD panel as well: only sharp-sighted people could work long hours with FHD without eye strain, me personally configured 120% scaling on my X220 -- even 100% 1366*768 at those 12.5" are too small for me. And I'm not sharing the overall hype regarding scaling in Win8.1 -- while scaling works more-or-less good for desktop apps, Metro UI is not scalable at all and Win8 Start Screen texts are not readable on my 37" FHD TV from distance of 3m/9ft.

10. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Through experience, whatever that means, I have realized that I don't need high resolutions on a laptop. On a desktop monitor, 1080p is necessary to some extent, though 900p is also fine. On smaller screens, especially when used for non-work purposes, higher resolution doesn't necessarily have too many benefits. One thing is that higher resolution screens can often have better quality. For instance, the FHD on the T530 is better than the other screens offered on that laptop. If the other screens were of equal quality, I would likely have gone one notch down, maybe to a 1600x900.

I agree with others here regarding scaling issues. For most cases, scaling works fine. Some graphics on some sites and some fonts can look out of place. The graphics can look blurry rather than sharp.

What is interesting is that the new Samsung Galaxy S4 has a FHD on a 5" screen and it is lovely. I just used one a couple of hours ago and it is super sharp. Everything scales well and looks lovely. The 441ppi on the screen no doubt aids in creating a great quality picture. The text is one of the sharpest I've ever seen on any display. Zoom in and the quality remains absolutely the same, no loss in image quality.

So the focus should rather be on image quality rather than resolution, as long as it's no less than 768p (for a 12.5" laptop). A higher quality display can make text look sharper, making it easier on the eyes. Though one can make a case that higher resolution means more pixels and thus a sharper image. Since scaling, in Windows anyway, doesn't work perfectly, there has to be some sort of compromise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.