ThinkPad X240s

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sciencefair

sciencefair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Besides the touchscreen and Haswell(?), are there any differences between this and the x231s? Specs? Dimensions?

2. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    While I agree for my own selfish reasons, I really don't think it's the case. I'm glad they're bringing back the 'p' models, and love packing more power into smaller and thinner chassis. But I think the stagnation of Dell, Lenovo, and HP in the business space is evidence to the fact that when it comes down to it, we really don't care for change. We don't want to replace our projectors or worry about adapters, and we most definitely don't want to worry about user (re)education. I just want new laptops that fit my existing infrastructure as easily as possible, with minimal disruption. Sure, I hate clickpads and the new trackpoint buttons, but it's me having to listen to users griping that gets me mad about them.

I really believe Lenovo is screwing up with all this S, L, and Edge series garbage. Not because they're diluting the brand, but because it's unnecessary for business class. Even the 'p' models really aren't necessary. Make W proper workstations, T mainstream, and X roadwarrior and exec candy. Get rid of the T400s, and just make it an X400. Bring back the R series for budget kit, or leave it as L, cut the price, and get rid of the Edge. Their biggest problem right now is that they're trying to do too much, and don't seem to have any unified vision behind it. No no, that's not it. Well it is for geek me, but more so, it's just more crap I know I don't want, but I have to include in my analysis every couple years.

3. andrick

andrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^Lenovo tried to cater all segments including smal & medium business, of course by sacrificing the premium brand. It's a bane for long time diehard fans (not bruce willis), but a bless for whom have tight budgets.

4. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IBM did too, with the R series. Lenovo has just gone crazy, fragmenting their product structures where you can't count on anything in the next generation. Not that HP, Dell, and Fujitsu haven't done the same to varying degrees.

5. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Bloody Nokia Adept

Reputations:
    From service videos it appears that:
    * there are both HD and FHD screen options, IPS, touch/non-touch
    * there are PCIe and single-sided M.2 slots, both capable for WWAN and SSD cards, M.2 SSD mentioned only for caching so I assume it does not support boot option -- after all, up to 3 disk drives could be installed simultaneously if you don't care about WWAN: 2.5", mSATA, M.2
    * memory is 8Gb max, presumably, single channel

X240s_features.png
    X240s_overview.png
    X240s_specs.png
    X240s_storageparts.png

7. Bloody Nokia Adept

Reputations:
    Important notice for X220/X230 owners willing to upgrade their screens from HD up to FHD -- that's impossible due to LCD panel interface change from LVDS to eDP.

8. andrick

andrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    13 inch display? is that true or typo (because of rounding)?

9. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have an IBM thinkpad L series from 1999, which was discontinued soon afterwards.

Interestingly it became dead within a week, was sent back to IBM and was repaired within a week. Today it is still in working condition.

10. changt34x

changt34x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can live with either 768p or even 1080p displays, but that 6 hour battery life is just disappointing. Around the same runtime as the Y410p, no ultrabay battery available and possibly no slice. Knowing Lenovo it will be more like 3-4 hours anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.