1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

ThinkPad X240

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    On the website of the Hongkong Polytechnic University, the first informations about the non-s X240 emerged:
    The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Notebook Ownership Program 2013

With Touch (X240 Touch):

So, basically, it seems to be a bit thicker X240s with one fixed and one swappable battery (much like T440s) and also likely with a DockingPort (although not confirmed yet). The CPUs are the same, as well as the Ports. You are also stuck with 8 GB of RAM, since there is only one RAM Slot.
    1.png

WhyDoINeedToRegister likes this.
  2. oct

oct Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dissapointing... it seems I won't be able to get something new with a good screen and a decent CPU...

PS: Funny, on the left menu T440s is "high performance" although same CPU as x240...

3. Bloody Nokia Adept

Bloody Nokia Adept Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All the X240 configs on the single page

post.cgi?id=attach:17:49284:243:1.png

4. Jayayess1190

Jayayess1190 Waiting on Intel Skylake

Reputations:
    That battery life is atrocious for a Haswell ULV. The 1TB of HDD space is nice, but would rather have ssd's as standard. I wonder if there be a twistable X240T?

5. sciencefair

sciencefair Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the leaked list of __40 models is anything to go by, there is none.

vasilis80 likes this.
  6. nastrodamous

nastrodamous Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i dont understand this doesn't seem like an upgrade at all.

7. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe I do agree with you. The lack of RAM upgrades along with the lack of full power CPUs makes me hesitant. The 6 hours of battery life seems like a step back though it seems to be replaceable so I assume one can replace it with a fresh battery. From the way it looks like, this doesn't seem like an improvement at all. The X230 was already thin and light so more thinness and lightness weren't that necessary. So based on this, the X230 comes out ahead in many ways.

8. fusoyaii

fusoyaii Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The battery life is confusing. The X240s gets 12 hours on 2x3-cell batteries. I'm almost certain the stated 6 hours here is for EACH battery, there's no way the X240 gets HALF the battery life of the X240s when there's essentially nothing different between the two. I don't get why they would advertise 6 hours though, you'd think 12 hours of battery life would be a great selling point.

So far I don't see a huge difference between the X240 and X240s... sort of disappointing. None of the CPU's offer VT-d.

9. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looks like I'm keeping my X201 for another year...this doesn't seem like much of an improvement over the computer I bought 3 years ago.

10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, pretty disappointing. I was about to sell my hp2570p and get something like x240 with IPS FHD, upgradeable ram and decent CPU. Not going to happen... I have 16GB RAM, 2TB storage and a quad core in 12.5" package....upgrading would mean cut in half everything :(((((((

11. digitaldriver

digitaldriver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't believe this is true, until I see it confirmed by Lenovo.

In a way, I could be glad, because I just ordered a 2570p.
    I was sick of waiting (have been waiting for an X230 successor with full Voltage Haswell, 16GB Ram, Fingerprint, Docking and 3G since December 2012).
    If true, this would be a massive step backwards for the Lenovo X Range.

12. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Well, lets wait and see. Remember, the full-voltage dual-core Haswell CPUs are not released yet, so there might be the possibility that this option will be added later. We might have to wait until September before we know that for sure.
    Nothing is set in stone until Lenovo officialy announces the new lineup.

13. Summilux

Summilux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On a non "s" X series?
    Ha ha ha, what a joke! I'm getting a good laugh, viewing this thread from my X220.
    You'd think Lenovo had already and definitely hit rock bottom after the "new" keyboards and then the "new" trackpoints, huh? But now look at that! They're still digging, they can't get enough of their mediocrity!
    This is truly wonderful to witness :)

14. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    As it stands today, the only possible advantages of X240 over your 2570p would be FHD IPS and Iris Pro graphics. Neither look real at the moment. In any case, it won't be HD5200, and the cpu will be soldered, so no quad. IMHO it's safe to assume that your Hp will last you another couple of years easily.

15. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I was on the fence comparing the X230 and waiting for the X240, based on these specs, I would go for the X230. These new Thinkpads are slowly becoming mainstream-like laptops - that's not to say that previous ones were not mainstream, it's that at least there were more differences between them and the average laptop.

The Elitebook 2570p looks very nice. How is the display? I liked the IPS on the X230 that I had for a bit.

I would be somewhat surprised if full voltage Haswell CPUs were offered in the X240. Lenovo probably wants to market these laptops are thin, light and efficient. They would most likely put those CPUs in the T and W series, or whatever other series they have created now. The heavyduty stuff, at least based on the specs, would probably be left to the T and W series (except the T series with a "s" at the end). I would imagine it might require different configurations to have both ULV CPUs and full powered CPUs. It adds to costs, so Lenovo might not offer both options. (This is pure 100% speculation so it is worthless :D)

16. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    Well, it is rumored different: Google Übersetzer
    So that would mean that there will be X240 with full-voltage CPUs. Still, we can only wait until Lenovo announces them but it would make much more sense if the X240 would get Full-Volt CPUs.

17. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    The display sux, it's the only con. It's about on par with the T4x0 series screens, which is bad....But I might be able to upgrade it to an IPS panel from x220.

18. mil2

mil2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have yet to see a link to a reliable source with that info about 12 hours on x240s. Frankly, I doubt it to be true -- it just doesn't compute.

What's the capacity of these batteries supposed to be like, 2x24Wh? That would mean what, a 4W average power consumption to last for 12 hours?

Haswell may be frugal with power, but I seem to remember the IPS screen in my x220 using around 2.5W -- at a relatively conservative brightness of 9/15. And I don't believe we've had any great improvements in LCD power consumption in the last two years, have we? So add to that the CPU, memory, HDD/SSD, WiFi, what have you...

Sorry, I won't believe this to be possible until I see it, or at least until I read a reliable third party review.

For what it's worth, though, I can't believe the 6 hours number either. That would be 8W average power consumption. I can do better on my x220, without any of the usual cheating done by manufacturers.

Something here simply doesn't add up...

19. oxf77

oxf77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How **official** is this max 8GB memory limit? When are people expecting to hear the official annoucement of the x240- the same time Intel release mobile Haswell CPUs in Sept?

If x240 supports 16GB ram I'll get it- otherwise its going to be x230 for me.

20. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    By Sep 12, all the questions will have answers ;) But I think it's pretty safe to assume the x240 will be limited to 8gb max unless there's another version coming out with a full voltage dual core cpu