ThinkPad X1

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jumpycalm, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I really hope that this X1 finds a market. The design has a lot of promise for the future. To be sure, I like the look. If it sells enough units, hopefully, Lenovo will see the design's potential and make the design changes it needs to live up to its potential.

Bronsky:cool:

2. LenovoGringo

LenovoGringo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unfortunately a totally revamped "X2" would be highly unlikely. Lenovo usually releases a 'total' refresh after a minor update. Other companies usually do the same.

X200 -> X201 (minor refresh of internals) -> X220 (design refresh)
    X300 -> X301 (minor refresh of internals) -> X1 (design refresh)

What I'm saying is that the Ivy Bridge will most likely be housed in the X1 chassis. It's too costly to keep retooling the factories every year.

Regarding the I/O port rubber cover; it does seem that they added it due to the slanted curve of the side. Otherwise it would look pretty ugly (big hole on the side). Bad design mistake since that slant produces a 14" laptop footprint as well. I guess that if you hate it, you can always rip it out? ;-)

3. blackbox

blackbox Guest

Reputations:
    I agree with your statement, but I don't see how better battery life, and higher resolution screen will change the physical attributes of the system. I actually like the look of this new model a lot. :)

I must say though, having something like that look in the X22x?? would look sick!, but as you had mentioned we might have to wait a couple of years before that actually happens, since the X220 has been redesigned.

Although, next year will be the Thinkpad's 20th anniversary in which case, we might see a reserve edition just like they have done on the X60 (15 year anniversary) . Trouble is, your going to spend a hefty price for that!!!!!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    All Lenovo needs to do is add an IPS option, HD+ display option, anti-glare finish on the display and a more powerful internl battery. All that can be done evolutionarily, without a serious redesign.

Bronsky:cool:

5. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the IPS with HD+ would probably suck even more battery... judging by how thin it is they cant have managed to put a very big battery in there. dont know if antiglare will become an option since it seems they used gorilla glass for structural reasons. would be interesting if they produce matte gorilla glass though. i see a lot of iphone users who have put antiglare screen protectors on to get rid of the glare.

having said that, surely 3M or someone else makes a decent antiglare sticker that can be applied..

6. LenovoGringo

Reputations:
    A HD+ IPS option. In our dreams. Come'on, Lenovo can't even get 16:10 screens, let alone make what would be the only 13.3" HD+ IPS laptop currently offered. It has already been established that 16:10 is available, but would increase cost (~$100), but if Lenovo doesn't even want to deal with that, how would Lenovo feel about creating something that isn't even out anymore? The same can be applied to Gorilla Glass; apparently no one makes an anti-glare option, otherwise I'm sure Lenovo would have jumped on it. Not going to happen.

As for the battery, the tech has pretty reached it's limit. The main reason why battery lifespan has been increasing is due to hardware/software; not battery tech. Lithium-Ion is always going to put out as much juice as the red-ox reaction allows. In order to increase battery reserve, you're simply going to need to put a bigger one in. This means an increase in weight and redesigning the internal rollcage. The latter of which means retooling the factory. Besides, all minor updates along the line result in a product which uses the same accessories (docks, batts, etc) as its predecessor.

If sales are low, Lenovo is just going to have to limp along until the "X3" comes out to correct all of their mistakes. Although I bet the engineers will want a redesign for the "X2", the execs wouldn't want to go through the R&D by then.

Although an anti-glare cover may work, it still isn't ideal and will lower the brightness and increase graininess on an already 'pixelated' screen.

7. jw8725

jw8725 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    how much will it be?

8. LenovoGringo

Reputations:
    You mean the X1 right? It starts somewhere between $1350-99. Shipping out May 24th in the US.

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This would be a fantastic machine if it had the footprint of the X301 and had a good WXGA+ or HD+ screen (I would buy such a Thinkpad over anything else). It doesn't need to be IPS, why can't they just ask LG for the screen used in the Macbooks. Instead we've got the X301 screen size and X220 resolution in something that's the size of the T420/s. Lose Lose.

Maybe it'll all come together in the X2. Lenovo just can't seem to get things right in a 13" model.

10. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Forget that, they need to get the screen Sony is using on the Vaio Z since that has an even higher color gamut vs the Macbook line, and comes in a 1600x900 screen res(the Air is the only 13in model to have the 1440x900 res screen), or if you want to get wild the optional 1920 x 1080 res.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.