Thinkpad X1 Carbon & Windows 8

Discussion in 'ThinkPad Edge, X1, X100e/X120e, & SL/L' started by smoothunit, Sep 15, 2012.

1. smoothunit

smoothunit Newbie

Reputations:
    Just spent the last few hours trying out Windows 8 on my new X1 Carbon. I did this via a full clean reformat. Below are a few tips to help out when going the same route.

Lenovo Windows 8 Drivers (some are beta)

Track pad driver Win 7 version works well, installs fine and makes use of gestures like swipe from edge. The trackpad is still sublime.

Issues-

Ericsson H5321 gw doesn't work though GPS does as evidenced in device manager. Windows 7 drivers are not compatible with Windows 8.

Again, in device manager I'm stuck with an 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller' driver not being found and I don't think this is related to the Mobile broadband driver but maybe it is.

No version of Thinkpad Vantage is available rendering the Thinkpad button useless.

Wireless transfer seems a tad slow. I can get an easy 5MBS on every other device in the house.

Battery life has actually been quite good with an easy 5 hours while installing, testing rebooting and mucking around. Please let me know how you all go and post back if you have any tips.

2. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 8 drivers are coming pretty soon. I would recommend everyone else waiting for a few more weeks.

3. themouse

themouse Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm glad to hear that the battery life remains unchanged with Windows 8 on the x1. While I generally liked Windows 8 on my x220T, battery life noticeably suffered.

4. rnauman821

rnauman821 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My biggest curiosity is how much better the trackpad gets with win8 drivers.

What have you noticed as far as boot time differences?

5. steve8191

steve8191 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Smoothunit: What is the configuration of your X1 carbon? can you please comment on your overall impression and using experience?

6. smoothunit

smoothunit Newbie

Reputations:
    My unit is a i5/8GB/256GB.

The trackpad feels just as good as it did running windows 7 but now supports edge swiping.

I've also worked out how to get Mobile Broadband working, using this guide and applying the techniques to installing the WAN drivers. Find the guide here..

I've had no crashes, buggy behavior or any usability issues. I just need to get Thinkpad Vantage to work and I'm all set. Boot time is even quicker using UEFI only in the bios then installing Windows 8. I estimate no more than 20 seconds to get a usable browser.

7. steve8191

steve8191 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    THANKS! GREAT! Congrats! I have the same config. But mine won't be shipped until 2 weeks later (ordered Aug 23rd). Do you feel it is running fast besides booting speed... ENJOY!

8. smoothunit

smoothunit Newbie

Reputations:
    Overall speed feels snappier than Windows 7, my main PC had felt like it had the same boost aswell. I'm loving Windows 8 sync features, makes setup a whole lot faster.

9. zlrenner

zlrenner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool undocumented Win8 feature for those that care (too much?) about battery life:
    Run "powercfg /batteryreport /output [filename]".

It'll generate very detailed charts about every AC/Battery/Suspend/Resume action, and give stats on usage history, estimates, etc. Without going too much into detail, my overall estimate is 6:35, although I expect in actuality it's probably closer to 6.

10. StrikeBack

StrikeBack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It will also tell you if a program is screwing with sleep. hibernate and resume states. Awesome little tool.