ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Loose Clickpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Marcham93, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul386

Paul386 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Took the laptop apart, this is no case of poor assembly. This is a terrible design. There is a single button, suspended under the lower middle portion of the trackpad by a flimsy piece of sheet metal. My sheet metal isn't all that straight and the gab between the trackpad and the sheet metal is too large, allowing for the slop. I tried putting one of those small keychanged size reward card things under need and it improved it considerably but then keyboard frame and lower frame no longer sat flush against each other at the trackpad. Very dissapointed. I'd like to see a video of someone without this problem...

Attached Files:

2. vindicator83

vindicator83 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh no...This reminds me of when Blackberry release the "Storm"...People had tons of issues with the "click screen"....They took it apart and put pieces of paper under it to give it a more solid feel....I hope this isn't the case with this laptop.

3. urbanglowcam

urbanglowcam Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL! I was one of those people. I loved my Storm but wow, that was a poor design decision. Fortunately, the Storm 2 fixed this with having 4 buttons all around instead of one center button.

I haven't noticed nearly as bad of an issue with the X1 Carbon trackpad except that it has a slight wobble when touching it. But it's in for repairs right now for that very same thing. I hope they can fix it.

4. Paul386

Reputations:
    That's what made me think of it...

5. ThinkRob

ThinkRob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't disassembled an X1C to see what you're referring to (and none of the units I've played with have had any problem so far as I can tell), but this also reminds me a lot of the 2006-2008 MacBook design issue wherein the trackpad button wasn't supported enough to overcome manufacturing tolerances -- on some units (all three of mine), there was enough give in the support that you could press down what felt like all the way without actually triggering the button. Easy enough to fix (shimming it with a business card), but annoying all the same.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
  7. Paul386

Reputations:
  8. rams

rams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I sent mine in for the same repairs. I got the matte finish trackpad, and the ends were not aligned properly. It was loose and causing double click events.

9. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i just received mine minutes ago.

entire front edge of trackpad is loose. it is a matte finish and yet totally smooth trackpad though -- the same as the one i had played with at J&R here in manhattan.

may i ask the good folks here what the correct number to call at Lenovo to send it in please? i'd rather send it in (even though i have on site service) since it is more likely they have a clean working area with all the right tools for Lenovo, than a tech coming here, after fighting the subway!

also: what did you tell the person on the phone after you called in? in my case, i need the trackpad to not wobble in the front, but the surface of my trackpad is fine.

so: kindly share the correct number to call please, as well as what to tell them.

Thx in advance.

10. letterk

letterk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My trackpad is not loose at all. It works great. However, after clicking, during the rebound, there is a faint metalic buzz. I'm not thrilled with that. I don't think this is the same problem, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.