ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Loose Clickpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Marcham93, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. urbanglowcam

urbanglowcam Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just ensured with a Lenovo tech rep that this should not void the warranty by doing it yourself. But I might just take it in to get it repaired from a local service provider under warranty.

Does anyone have any experience doing this with their Lenovos in the past? Any feedback would be great.

2. jdbtech

jdbtech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my X1C yesterday and I have the same loose feeling on the trackpad. It works fine but it seems to rattle just a little when you touch it or click with it.

Not sure what my plan will be (live with it, get it repaired at some point, DIY). We'll see.

3. Tun

Tun Newbie

Reputations:
    I feel the material under the touchpad is so thin and the click is coming from this area. Because when i carry it in the middle by the edge and release then i hear the click. I hope it is just couple screws but not a design flaw...

4. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sheeeehhh! I bit the bullet and fix various "fit and finish" problems on T4XX and T/W5XX, but seeing DIY advice to fix a premium notebook makes me fuming angry. (Of course, not at the advice, but the freaking expensive object.)

And "loose clickpad" is not the only sign of low quality.

No way. I am not so desperate.

5. SonicDeathmonkey

SonicDeathmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I got my X1C today and I am experiencing some "looseness" but I'm not sure it's unintentional. Are you guys referring to the slight amount of give that the trackpad has when its pressed on, before it engages the actual click? That part seems okay to me but what is driving me crazy is the "tap" noise that this makes when you tap on the trackpad. It reverberates through the entire chassis and is pretty loud and obnoxious.

Anyway, I opened up the machine to see if there were any screws to be tightened but everything is tight and looks great in there, so I'm pretty sure it's by design. I just wish the clicking sound was more dampened.

6. voyanger

voyanger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since the X1c are in high demand I guess the people at factory have to rush to keep on contingency times.

My thinkpad edge s430 has some minor build quality issues, such as a mark on the screen (came off when I kept wiping it), hairline scratches/cracks in the track pad and a warped display bezel. Now these issues aren't great considering it spent a month in the factory (they apparently was missing a part) but it's not the flagship so it didn't matter so much.

I'd like to send it back for it to get fixed but knowing how PC companies handles things it would be "repaired" by some monkey and the laptop would actually come back worse.

But since it appears that the trackpads are similar in both the S430 and X1c (looks like the same size) and well my trackpad isn't lose, in fact it's a little stiff.

7. Paul386

Paul386 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got my X1c today and my trackpad is severely loose on the bottom right corner. It wasn't too bad until about the 5th click and now it appears to be coming apart. I'll take a video and I am going to perform the repair.

Pre-repair:

Lenovo X1 Carbon Loose Trackpad - YouTube

8. Albigger

Albigger Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That looks like horrible quality! Please post back after you perform the fix, I hope it helps.

9. SonicDeathmonkey

SonicDeathmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow, it looks like it's protruding quite a lot on the right side... I would definitely open it up and see if the screws are holding it down tightly.

10. erio

erio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    received mine today.No loose trackpad. Ordered 8/16 i5/8gb/128 .

mine did not come with an internet dongle. -_-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.