ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Loose Clickpad?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Marcham93, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcham93

Marcham93 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just received my X1 Carbon today.

Does anyone else have an effect in which if you tap the clickpad it feels slightly loose?

It may just be the design, but I find it a bit odd. The clickpad doesn't feel firm to me.

Anyone else?

Normal or odd?

2. maridia

maridia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was just about to post about this! I received my X1C today, and the track/click pad is very loose, and makes a noise with any kind of moderate tap. Very annoying!! If it is the design, it is a frightfully stupid one. One of the instantly noticeable flaws I came upon, and one high up on my growing list of system irks. It's as if the glass pad was not mounted properly. I have never seen a track/click pad designed this way. Weird.

3. Marcham93

Reputations:
    Exactly what I am experiencing.

I have a friend at Lenovo keeping an eye on it, so I'll let you know if there are any updates as to if it's a manufacturing issue or design.

4. SonicDeathmonkey

SonicDeathmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not to drag you into a full in-depth review but, what are some of the other complaints that you have so far?

5. Marcham93

Reputations:
    FIX FOR LOOSE CLICKPAD

The clickpad is loose due to a screw not being screwed in tightly enough inside the unit. Follow the steps below to fix your problem.

1) Reboot the laptop into SETUP to first disable the battery. (Don't want to get shocked working on it!)

2) Turn the laptop off and flip it over so you can see the bottom, now remove all seven screws.

3) Open the laptop lid up and remove the keyboard/clickpad... a little force, but not much is needed.

4) Once the keyboard/clickpad is detached from the unit make sure to unplug the ribbon cable connecting it to the motherboard.

5) On the underside of the clickpad there should be 4 or 6 screws securing it, make sure they are all tight than test the clickpad out again.

6) Reasemble the computer by plugging back in the ribbon cable, clicking in the keyboard, and replacing the screws.

7) Boot the laptop up using an AC Adapter into SETUP to reenable the battery.

Done! :)

*Note I am not responsible for any damage or loss of warranty you may cause to your machine.*

6. SonicDeathmonkey

SonicDeathmonkey Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome! You've tried this and it works? Hopefully it works for everyone else; it seems like it will be a pretty widespread issue.

7. Marcham93

Reputations:
    Yep! Repaired mine last night. It really made a world of difference.

8. xgrudgex

xgrudgex Newbie

Reputations:
    So we are supposed to open up the "flagship" machines we have been waiting a month on to repair them? No thanks. If mine comes in defective(which that clearly is) it will be going back.

9. urbanglowcam

urbanglowcam Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the writeup. After completing it, are there signs that you may have voided the warranty or not?

10. Marcham93

Reputations:
    I probably wouldn't return it... the fix is simple and let me tell you, this machine is AMAZING! Most likely a factory worker rushing on the production line. Don't stop it from you having an amazing machine like this.

As for the warranty... I will check with Lenovo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.