ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm curious about the color result after calibration.

Then again the HDR is most likely 10 bit or 8+2FRC, and covers the AdobeRGB +P3 color space much better. No competition there.

Here to post some corrections.

S3 sleep being not existent is by design, and I doubt Lenovo is going to back out on the decision. A fix in Linux to improve compatibility with smart sleep is in the works as we speak.

Battery life, this actually improved by a lot after manual setting of core parking (allowing all cores to be parked if idle), disabling turbo boost on battery, undervolting, and setting SST to 135 using throttlestop. (Thanks @unclewebb ).

I started to use the computer around 12:35 with 94% battery, with around 25mins of sleep and about 45 minutes of youtube playback (FHD) inbetween moving classes and campus buildings. It ended up around 24% around 8:20PM. So I believe the battery life will be close to 9/9.5+ hours if I can manage to drain the entire thing.

Workload includes browsing, editing google docs, and having discord + telegram messenger opened in the background. So I believe the claim of 15 hours is only a little bit optimistic.
    If you close discord + telegram, you'll be able to squeeze out a considerable amount of extra battery runtime.

Keep in mind that "smart sleep" is active during the time of the testing.

1080P display is actually better. This is what I have: http://www.panelook.com/B140HAN03.1_AUO_14.0_LCM_overview_32138.html

eva2000 and Anthony Accioly like this.
  2. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Pretty solid battery results. Are you dual booting? Any chance that you can test Linux + TLP / Power Top?

3. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Only W10 currently

Not sure if I want to dualboot just yet. Pretty busy time in school right now.

I still need to sort out the warranty with P71 since the service center broke my mic.
    T430 still in pieces and haven't flashed the modified bios in.

4. fapiha66

fapiha66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually use Ubuntu 16.04 + windows 10 dual boot.
    Generally the battery time on Ubuntu is shorter than windows 10, even with TLP.
    I basically used the default TLP settings, namely powersave governor, no cpu boost on battery (so max freq. = 1.6GHz).
    When browsing the internet with FireFox, the powertop shows around 5.5-7.5 Watts. With 90% battery, the estimated battery is around 6.5-8 hours. (On comparison, the 90% battery with web browsing with Chrome on Win 10 estiamtes 10 hours).

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  5. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Its a little bit unfair though, as she compares the base-panel-option on the T480s with the most expensive panel option on the X1 Carbon.

The WQHD display on the T480s is clearly worse than the X1 Carbon HDR screen, but its much better than the base FHD panel.

6. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I could use some advice from current X1 owners with the HDR screen.

Is there a way to set an sRGB mode (limit the gamut) so that everything does not look oversaturated (for software without color management)?

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    @bloodhawk would know best

8. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Speaking to customer reps at Lenovo, they told me that Lenovo are planning to put the 500-nit HDR touch screen (i.e. like the one in the X1 Yoga) in the X1 Carbon. I was told that it may be available as soon as later this month.

9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Thats not possible with Windows. That supersaturated looks is something you will get used to over time.

10. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was afraid of that. So the choice is between the HDR display which is bright (500 nits) but with seriously distorted colors in non-color managed software, or the normal WQHD which is dimmer (300 nits) but has more normal colors?

There's no hardware option to set the HDR display profile to sRGB, like on some standalone monitors?