ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Contact tech and sales.

You are eligible 30 days after delivery for replacement.

Your replacement also have 30 days after delivery to get another replacement in case you get another crap unit.

2. fapiha66

fapiha66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see.
    I actually just asked for a repair and see whether that works. In case not, I will for sure ask a replacement.

3. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm happy to see that they've opened up full customization for the 6th gen. My plan is the standard non touch FHD, 16 gig RAM, 1T SSD, 3 year warranty plus accidental damage coverage.

It will be costly (about $2800) - I believe from what I see here there are restrictions on pointing people to discounts, but I assume there are some available out there? Any hint on where to start looking?

Thanks.

4. fapiha66

fapiha66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I just send you a conversation to discuss this :)

jefflackey likes this.
  5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    99% copy of the 5th gen model, very minor visual differences

@Anthony Accioly

Images put in spoiler cause they're too big

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  6. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sexy! I know it is early, but how are you enjoying it so far? Can't wait to get to Canada :and pick up mine.

7. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    It's mostly the same as the X1C5.

A few points.

S3 sleep is not possible anymore, now only smart sleep. Problematic with Linux.
    Same cooler as the X1C5, but now with the heat density of quadcore, it overheats in no time if the power limit is unlocked.
    Power options in the windows power profile manager is locked (unlockable with registry hack, but sleep will be disabled if you do that)
    Keyboard feels a little mushier compared side by side to X1C5.
    Trackpoint doesn't flex / bend. The trackpoint equipped by P71 or the older 7-row keyboard slightly squishes when pushed in a certain direction, the one on X1 Carbon doesn't do that since the nipple is so short.
    Battery life with FHD panel is similar to the X1C5, it not a little better (undervolted with throttlestop, power saver mode.
    Coating still as annoying (if not impossible) as before.
    Keyboard doesn't feel as good compared to the 7-row old keyboard, still pretty good for a chiclet though.

8. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Finally, after a good year's worth of study and research and narrowing down to three then two options (the Dell XPS 15 and the X1C) I bit the bullet today and ordered a 6th gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Got the 1080 touchscreen option, 16 gig RAM, 1T SSD, highest end CPU option, extra AC adapter, 3 year in home warranty with accidental insurance added on, etc. It was expensive, but I tend to hold on to my laptops for a while and they are my only PC, and I also travel a lot with them. It will be really nice to carry this light machine on the road vs. my 147 pound Alienware M17x laptop, and have the battery life of the X1C vs. the literally 0 battery life (even after changing adapters and batteries) of my Alienware.

Shoutout thanks to a couple of people who provided some above and beyond help with the shopping options. I'll be posting here once my new machine arrives (looks like about 10 days or so.)

fapiha66, Anthony Accioly and huntnyc like this.
  9. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Quite a few gotchas. Sounds like you are a little disappointed. Hopefully the Power Management / S3 / Sleep stuff will be fixed by driver updates. How's the 1080p display? Same thing as last generation?

PS: Lisa just posted a review of the T480s. About halfway through the video you can find the T480s and the X1C6 HDR side by side. The difference can't be unseen.

huntnyc likes this.
  10. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Brilliant specs. I hope you enjoy your new Laptop.

jefflackey likes this.