ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I've waddled a bit with Modern Standby vs S3, since I do like that Modern Standby is very Mac-like. The moment I open the display, the login screen is already present. I understand those with Windows Hello sign on immediately. I've used Modern Standby since I bought it in October, with only a few interruptions, until January.

However, compared to my old Dell E5450, S3 is somewhat poorly implemented on this computer. Sometimes, opening the lid will resume the laptop within a couple of seconds (never instantly). Sometimes, I wonder if anybody is home. Sometimes, I have to use the power button (which I cannot tap, I have to strangely depress it for about a second). The KB will sometimes wake the computer, other times, it will not.

However, I can get a reliable ~5.5 hours (across 24 hours; assuming no workload beyond web surfing and word processing) with how S3 power is managed. This will almost last me through the day, though not reliably enough to leave my charger in the car (or at home). With Modern Standby, I'd either get ~5 hours of use time (across 24 hours), or 1/3 of my battery will drain out of the blue, and I'd be lucky to have a couple of hours, if even that.

I knew something was wrong when I spent more time running sleep reports and energy reports (I even created a bat file with the right privileges to automatically create the reports) then anyone should ever have to for a laptop.

In the end, I have found Lenovo's power management to be subpar (this isn't even getting into TB3 PMIC power issues that straight out drain the battery [while at idle!] while a power brick is connected). I like the KB travel, but Lenovo is gimping that on the next X1C. I've tried out other Thinkpads (L380 Yoga, T480s), own another (E485), and I have found their KBs to not be on par with the X1C6. As such, I have no real reason to stick with Lenovo for my next laptop. As nice as the trackpoint is - I've never even used the touchpad - it's really something I could take or leave on other laptops.

Eason and Anthony Accioly like this.
  2. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @jeremyshaw, Dell's 9380 is looking good (although battery life is not one of it's strong points). Maybe Dell will reveal an awesome "9580" with better battery life at some stage?

As for Lenovo's implementation of ACPI I kinda agree with you... Linux can be very sensitive to it as well, and I had 80% drain overnight with the laptop coming out of S0i3 on its own back in the day.
    S3 has been mostly fine for me though. I do occasionally have to press the power button like you've mentioned, but that's about it.

To be completely honest. I've seen way more Laptops getting Modern Standby wrong than right (and that includes Microsoft's own Surface line).
    Even regular sleep can be messy. I've bought a very expensive "state of the art" Clevo P650HS-G that turned out to be completely useless as a daily driver. It would often wake up to a BSOD (or not wake up at all). Now it's just a very expensive Media Server and Game Stream box sitting under my TV. The only way for it to work properly is if I do not allow it to sleep (ever :D).

jeremyshaw likes this.
  3. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    ^^ I think I'll wait for 10nm (XPS 9390?), as was my original plan when I got the Vaio S13 (22nm Ivy Bridge) years ago... Then it broke and I bought the Dell E5450 with 14nm Broadwell. Then that broke and I got the 14nm X1C6, lol. My best guess on the "New XPS product line with Ice Lake 10nm" Dell showed onstage was a XPS 13 2in1 (replacing with passive Y series chips with U series parts).

Though it seems Lenovo is still working on some of the power issues. I don't know if the fan rotation issue is related to Modern Standby not turning off the fan (for about 5-20 seconds in my experience), or if Lenovo is discussing a completely different issue.

Code:
    CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
      Version 1.36

[Important updates]
    - Update includes a security fix.

[New functions or enhancements]
    - Updated the Diagnostics module to version 04.05.000.

[Problem fixes]
    - Fixed an issue where FAN rotation may not be stopped when LID Closed.
    - Fixed an issue where incorrect wattage is displayed when attach an AC adaptor.
    https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...BON-6TH-GEN-TYPE-20KH-20KG/downloads/DS502281

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  4. 483

483 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've recently bought the X1C6 from Costco (i7, 16GB, 512GB), coming over from a 2011 13" Macbook Air that's still running quite well. I've been following along the thread for a while before I purchased to see what issues I might have.

The battery life has lasted throughout a couple days (I am still running the Macbook Air for some of my more CPU intensive tasks as I transition over), but the X1 has handled Excel, Word, browsing, and some YouTube easily. The modern standby has been great so far, and I've not run into any issues of losing any open work. I haven't made any power adjustments from how the unit came configured.

I do get a whine when the fan comes on, but it hasn't come on often (yet to fully transition stat software from the Air). My unit came with the Nidec Furukawa fan. The whine will have to get sorted.

The SSD is a WD, Part No. 00UP683.

Keyboard has been great. The 2011 Macbook Air has a decent keyboard as well though, so I'm not coming over from their newer (less travel) keyboard iterations.

The left-click trackpoint button has me confused at times as it doesn't always register. It's the bottom left half of the button which I press with my thumb while navigating with the trackpoint. I've seen this problem discussed elsewhere with ThinkPads, but I don't know if there is a solution.

I'm pleased with the screen. I'm also comparing to the lower resolution screen on the 2011 Macbook Air. The Air does seem to have a slightly brighter screen at the max setting, but I don't use them that bright. Coming to the higher resolution though makes everything look crisp. Definitely makes a difference.

The overall build quality is impressive. Comparatively, it's solid with a larger screen in a smaller package than the 2011 Macbook Air.

huntnyc and Anthony Accioly like this.
  5. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Welcome to the team :). I'm glad that you are enjoying your new rig.
    If the fan does botter you can always call Lenovo for a replacement (someone posted the part number and hints to get the right thing from support somewhere in this post).
    You haven't mentioned what kind of monitor you got as well. I assume that it was the 300 nits one. The 500 nits version is really, really bright. I use it at less than 30% of the total brightness... Unfortunately, out of the box colours are very satured as well. Nothing that a custom colour profile can't help.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  6. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    I think the last BIOS update or Power Management driver (or something; Vantage recently got upgraded as well) resolved the longstanding issue where the USB-C controller (PMIC specifically) would occasionally go haywire and either:
    show the system was charging when nothing was plugged in (even the orange LED inbetween the USB-C ports comes on)
    constantly cycled between "charging" and battery mode, regardless if it was actually plugged in or not.

This "condition" would require me to use the Reset hole in the bottom of the laptop. Rebooting, standby cycling, etc did not help. Reset hole only. From what I gather in the forums, I could also use the BIOS option to disconnect the battery, which accomplishes the same thing (though would require the use of a charger to wake it up again - so not an ideal solution).

As a result, I have actually been using my Lenovo TB3 GTX1050 dock again, since it's no longer triggering the issue.
    Formerly, the dock had a near 100% chance of triggering the issue if I didn't power off the laptop before docking and power off before undocking. The power brick managed to trigger the condition at least once, as did a simple USB-C dongle (with USB-C PD passthrough).

This condition has not resurfaced recently.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Anthony Accioly likes this.
  7. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    It is possible that the BIOS update did something else. On Linux, everytime that I used to unplug the laptop from power the Camera would freeze and then show up as a separate device (very annoying). Assisted Thunderbolt didn't help it. Since around the last update I can't reproduce the issue anymore. Although, there were also kernel upgrades around that time so I don't know for sure what fixed it.

I guess that a ThinkPad, like good wine, does get better with age.

8. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it looks like the quality control is still garbage. Received a custom X1C with everything including LTE and I've got several bad keys on the keyboard including caps lock plus multiple dead pixels. This is coming off the heels of a totally DOA X1E purchased in March.

How are these thinkpads not being laughed out of the market? Hands down the worst experience with an OEM I've ever had...

9. Anthony Accioly

Reputations:
    Call Lenovo, let them know that that's the second time that they have screwed things up and request a RMA.
    Hopefully you will get your money back or a Laptop with a working keyboard (when they are not defective, X1C I are actually pretty good).

10. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We'll see soon enough, #3 arrives May 2nd (1 X1E, 2 X1C) if I can't get a working laptop after 3 tries I think I'll bail and buy from another vendor.