ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Don't forget the meme

2. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The LG doesn't seem like it would fit the Carbon, it was compatible for my E7450.

I can't believe how lightweight and small the carbon is. I love the feel and everything is awesome. I did get the crappy BOE display and I have an open ticket with Lenovo to get it replaced, let's see how it goes.

Hah!

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  3. aliv

aliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could anyone please recommend "USB-C to DisplayPort" or "USB-C to HDMI" cable to use with one external DELL monitor?
    Found 4 options for "USB-C to DisplayPort" on Amazon: Choetech, Plugable, Uni and Cable Matters.
    Now looking for options of "USB-C to HDMI".
    BTW - which one is better? USB-C to DisplayPort or to HDMI?

I also need this cable to work with Dell XPS 13 (another laptop in the family).
    Which seems is not a problem for "USB-C to DisplayPort" from Plugable and Cable Matters (according to reviews).

Thanks!

4. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having a lots of trouble with graphics drivers for my t480s and saw that X1 C6 is on the same Intel driver release - 24.20.100.6223

Is anyone with the X1 C6 having display freezing / stuttering issues that require CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B or a sleep / wake cycle to fix?

5. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How did this work out?

6. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Favorably overall.

The service was pretty open to provide the substitute part.

Thanks @Mobius 1 for the help.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  7. Even

Even Newbie

Reputations:
    If these are the only issues with X1 carbon, then it looks like a pretty good buy

8. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As an owner I agree with you. The sleep problem is gone thanks to the "Linux Mode" added to the BIOS. Ditto about energy settings.

The most "annoying" unsolved problem is the CPU throttling. However, there is a workaround in place for Linux users (https://github.com/erpalma/throttled/blob/master/README.md). The I7-8650u is now trading punches with an 7700hq. Very impressive for a 15W CPU.

Overall, while it has not been exactly smooth sailing for early adopters, I'm very happy with the X1C.

9. Even

Even Newbie

Reputations:
    is this mode available for windows users?

10. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. It is an option in the BIOS to enable S3 state. Lenovo calls it "Linux Mode" to discourage Windows users from giving up on modern standby. Just make sure to update your BIOS / drivers, etc with the Vantage Tool.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/m-p/4198428#M90070

To be fair it seems that things are getting better with Modern Standby. However, even if I was using Windows consistently, I would prefer limiting battery drain to ~1% per night over a ~2 seconds boost to wake-up.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see the point of Modern Sleep. I don't need my Laptop to download emails / IM messages and Windows Updates while it is on standby. Neither do I want it to be connected and potentially vulnerable while I'm off. Maybe I'm wasting precious seconds of my life, however the trade-off just isn't worth it.