ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I already had a 970 Evo so I didn't need to go there. I thought MX-4 was generally well regarded but it has been awhile since I've done research on thermal paste. I've never had any issue with it that I'm aware of. Kryonaut is absurdly expensive at moment. $30 for 3ml tube. I see that the thermal conductivity is better w/ Kryonaut. I may just buy a tube and compare.

With this laptop is the better method the "pea" dot in the center or spread the paste out evenly over the die? I spread it out evenly because that's how it was from the factory.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For me I used fine rice grain.

Although with Kronaut it's instructed to spread it out on the CPU die.

jlp0209 likes this.
  3. Tatum36

Tatum36 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi-guys! So, I recently got my X1 Carbon 6th Gen and everything seems okay from my initial inspection. I have been reading and trying to figure out how to get the OS loaded properly. The system had Windows 10 Home but I plan on upgrading the OS to avoid all the bloatware.

Should I use the basic NBR install instructions for Window Enterprise as well? Do I need to remove Window Home first? I’m trying to ensure I have a great start.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

4. grenadier

grenadier Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is the best current CPU option for the X1C6?

That is to say is the 8250u, 8350u, 8550u or 8650u more likely to be better binned / better able to perform consistently within the limits of the X1C6 cooling setup and 29W TDP?

Also, it seems like cpus in the X1C6 achieve very similar performance to the t480 / t480s at lower TDPs (15-29W vs 15-44W) - especially when undervolted. Is it possible that the X1 line is getting slightly better binned cpus than other lenovo laptop lines?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. Badboy8813

Badboy8813 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone else feel like your laptop never truly goes to sleep? I can still hear the fan running whenever I put it into sleep more. This is causing my battery not to last as long. Laptop feels warm wherever I take it out of my bag. Any ideas?

6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Most likely, it's "Modern Standby," (aka, InstantGo, Connected Standby, etc), a Microsoft-lead initiative to ensure your laptop doesn't really sleep, rather, it stays on in a low power state with active programs.

The X1C6 offers a "Linux" standby mode in the IBIOS (opposed to "Windows" mode), which reverts back to the traditional sleep style.

IMO, if you only want 8GB, then get the cheapest one and stick with it. If you want more RAM, then upgrade the CPU to something else and go with that.

7. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just ordered one of these. I'm excited but a bit worried about all the negative things I've been hearing about them.

- Overheating
    - Throttling
    - Paint Peeling
    - Display Quality
    - Touchpad Button Quality
    - Keyboard Lottery
    - Display Lottery
    - Bent lid
    - Linux support?

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    All of the above are real issues except for the last one - Linux support. Linux is flexible enough to be put on any hardware nowadays. You can except some tweaking of course, but success is guaranteed. Just don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out of the box and don't give up easily.

I've spent a few extra hours putting Qubes on my Thinkpad E485 with Ryzen and Vega = really happy with the result even despite some nasty BIOS issues (missing or incorrect hardware IO parameters), which wouldn't even let me load the installer. But it's sorted out now and I now have another great machine free from microsoft.

9. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It sucks about the hardware issues.

I'm not too worried about Linux, but coming from Dell Latitudes, I'm used to flawless linux support out of the box. I hope there are no issues that are too time consuming.

I am also considering looking at the 5th Gen carbon and wondering if those also suffered from the same hardware issues.

10. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just return the laptop if you get a dud, Lenovo support has been very good to me in the past. I see you have a spare LG 14" FHD display for sale. You could always install it into the new X1C if you get a crap screen, but then again, you paid for a quality screen so I can see where you'd also just want Lenovo to replace it. Something to consider nonetheless if everything else about the laptop ends up being perfect. It's simple to swap out the LCD but you would need to order a new bezel, also simple to install.

powerslave12r likes this.