ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    16GB of RAM in the USA requires the vPro CPUs (i5-8350 and whatever the i7 version is). It's an arbitrary restriction that doesn't exist in some of the other markets. But we do get our Thinkpads much cheaper than most other countries.

The non-WWAN version is missing the cellular antennas. However, the X1C6 puts the antennas into the base unit, rather than the screen, so adding in the antennas on your own is not too hard. That being said, it will be cheaper to just get it in the beginning, if you want LTE.

2. Tatum36

Tatum36 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, How to a send DM/PM? I've searched everywhere.:(

3. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Finally received what I think is a keeper X1C 6th gen. About time. Question, is there any way to make the brightness toggle appear when you click on the battery icon on the task bar? It used to be there and is there on my other W10 laptop. But on this laptop there is just the power slider. It shows up if I click on the "notifications" icon. Is there a way to put this back so I can adjust it when I click on the battery icon?

Also, there are no other options for power saving. Laptop is always in balanced mode.

I swapped the crappy Intel SSD for a Samsung SSD and did a clean W10 Pro install. Updated to bios 1.34. My Windows build is 1809, 17763.168.

4. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Both of your questions are answerable with this: Windows changed how power settings operate (including brightness - the slider is gone from the battery popup).

I don't know if there are ways to bring it back. I usually just use the fn+f5/f6 hotkeys. It's a lot easier than my old Dell, which was something like fn+f9/f10, making me stretch across the KB (hard to do one handed).

Congratulations on your new device. Replacing the Intel Pro 6000p with a Samsung 970 Pro was the first thing I did, too.

jlp0209 likes this.
  5. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply. I can deal with this by clicking on the notifications icon, the toggle brightness % button appears there now. All seems well aside from the front right side of the lid not being even when closed. Leaves a slight gap between the front right part of the lid and the base. Looks to be a pretty common issue from what I've read, not worth returning or exchanging. Especially since I finally got a perfect AUO screen, that is the most important part to me.

huntnyc likes this.
  6. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Was about to order a Delta fan from Parts to replace my Nidec fan. Because why not. Called tech support just for kicks and they are sending me the Delta fan as a CRU. Figured it was worth a shot, score. Really cool support rep. Screw the parts lottery. I re-pasted my MateBook X Pro which was a colossal PITA, the X1C6 looks like a walk in the park in comparison. Will use some MX-4. Saved myself a fistful of dollars by going through tech support.

7. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Neat! Yup, that's the way to do it. The X1C6 also has nice, spring loaded clips (well, plastic springs). This is in contrast to most cheaper laptops (say, an E485) where the plastic clips are rigid and have a tendency to easily break when being opened. Reports of the latter are a big part of why I avoided Dell's Latitude 5000 series this time around.

8. jlp0209

Reputations:
    I called into tech support about the fan last night and it just got delivered to my office prior to 10 AM today. Talk about prompt support. They aren't requiring me to send back the Nidec fan either. I see that the fan assembly comes with thermal paste pre-applied which is cool. Is there really a big difference between the stock compound vs. MX-4 or something similar? I have no problem wiping the stock stuff off, but if there's no difference may as well just leave it on.

9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Very simple process swapping out the fan. Running 2 runs of Cinebench back to back I saw an increase in score and overall temp drop of about 5 degrees. At full blast there is less high pitched noise from the Delta fan. I'll prob never run Cinebench again, just wanted to compare temps. I'm going for silence and cool temps at idle and office work, so should be stellar in this regard.

Nidec fan, stock paste:

Capture.JPG

Cleaned die, re-paste with MX-4:

X1.jpg

Delta fan, MX-4:

Capture 2.JPG

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

8550U can do 16GB.

Only the lowest end i5 is not able to select 16GB.

If you are smart and a smooth talker, you can convince the customer support to send you an EXACT FRU Samsung SSD while you send back the defective and inferior Intel one under their cost.

Someone said that the Nidec fan spin faster, but the Delta one is "bigger." But the fan is around the same size and the heatsink shape isn't that different.

The Nidec opening is much smaller, so the fan is choked and can't really move that much air.

When I wanted to get the Nidec FRU just to compare Lenovo ran out and wasn't able to ship me one for 4-5 weeks. I just got a Nidec FRU from a contact of mine.

Too bad I don't have an X1C6 anymore though.

Use Kryonaut or Nanogrease extreme, MX-4 will dry out and degrade in a very short period of time.

powerslave12r and jeremyshaw like this.