ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They break ChromaTune and you're stuck with the wrong color gamut in Windows (again). There's no reason to upgrade since it's a maintenance release. I'd hold on to a copy of the .6168 driver installer from Lenovo before you upgrade to any newer ones, since they don't make old drivers easily accessible.

2. aliv

aliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody experience sound distortions in headsets when power cable plugged in?
    I was surprised to hear noise and sound distortion using apple wired headset when I was listening some piano soft an calm music from youtube.
    Seems like it is less distortion in a headset after I turned Dolby Atmos off.
    For now I just stopped listening any music in a headset, but it is not a solution :)

Goolged and found this topic on Lenovo forum: https://lnv.gy/2ySD6mv

Some report, that it is may be a hardware problem, that was fixed in some cases with motherboard replacement.
    But there are were several reports, that mb replacement didn't help.

Do you have such sound issue? Thanks.

3. calyco

calyco Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received my X1 Carbon 6th gen, what a fantastic laptop - minimal design, light and beautiful WQHD HDR screen. No flex anywhere either, build wise this is the laptop I have been waiting for after numerous thinkpads and a zenbook. Even sweeter I got in on the EPP deal plus cashback.

The colors do seem slightly over saturated though, also any other settings or tweaks you guys can recommend? TIA

4. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Chromatune? I haven't been able to find such an app, though the desktop context menu has a color mode selector (this still works as of the current Lenovo 6223 drivers - Intel's website shows no indication as to the existence of any official 6223 drivers, they skipped the number).

I suppose one could use the color mode selector in the desktop context menu. As noted in a few posts recently, upgrading to newer Intel IGP drivers is likely to break that functionality, so just keep the official Lenovo drivers (and as noted, hold onto the installer file for them).

As for other items on today's docket, I repasted and replaced the Nidec HS assembly with a Delta unit. The fan is a bit larger. Of note, the heatsink has a cutout to ensure the southbridge (Intel PCH) isn't contacted by the heatsink.
    DSC00286.JPG

22.7C Ambient temps.

Nidec did a bit better initially - it actually did a lot better today than it usually does. You can see the saved score of 491 in there, which is more reflective of what the second run typically entails.
    before.png
    What usually happens is the second run drops down to 12W, which is no fun.
    First run was 624! This is much higher than normal (usually starts in the 590s). Fifth run comes down to the 480 seen there.

After replacing and respasting (I may not be good at that).
    after.png
    Fan isn't much better in terms of acoustic quality (initial impressions). I'll know if I like it better sometime down the road. First run was 605, ended the 5th run at 519.

SCREEN
    As for the WQHD display, I feel I would also have liked the dimmer, matte screen (if the matte was thick enough). I was just disappointed to learn my old E5450 had a relatively decent 1080p matte panel, and most 14" 1080p panels today are much, much worse (in terms of contrast, gamut). Especially if one wanted a dGPU.

I like the extra workspace WQHD brings, especially in Windows Snap. Some applications can quite benefit from it (simple IDE example on left) or are antisocial enough to take more than half of a 1080p screen (around 1100 pixels, last I counted, when only 960 were available in a 1920x1080 screen)/ In this case, the battle.net application is one of these greedy applications.
    use.png

The brightness and color gamut of this display do not overcome the glossiness, IMO. I was quite curious about the Thinkshutter, and the T480/s models didn't have a Thinkshutter/WQHD option in the US, leaving only the X1 Carbon's two WQHD choices. After owning this "WQHD HDR" display for a few days, it really is like a black tinted mirror. It's nowhere near a Macbook Pro display, which is also glossy, but not glaringly glossy. So far, it is somewhat limiting in how I use my laptop.

In terms of screen positives (outside of resolution), screen uniformity is really great. This is in spite of the thinner LCD section (compared to the metal back of the Dell E5450). The Dell would easily distort with any sort of pressure on the lid.

HID INPUTs
    Keyboard seems to be marginally nicer to type on than my old E5450 Dell, in terms of tactility. The E5450 was mushier, but had similar key travel.

I haven't used the touchpad yet, so I don't have any reports on that.

The red mouse cursor is fine. Somewhat firm, but now my Dell's feels loose and unresponsive. The X1C has a Synaptics unit, which means I can use the TPMiddle utility to gain both scrolling and middle click functionality.

MISC
    I wish the uSD card reader was easier to access.You don't actually need a long pin to remove the SIM/uSD tray, a fingernail can just pry it loose. Something like the X1Y3's setup may be better. Port placement outside of the uSD reader is just about perfect.

In terms of longevity, I knew my M11x's days were numbered quite soon after I got it. Same with the Vaio SA/S13. The Dell, I intended to hold onto longer (ended up being almost 4 years). This laptop, at least two years. I originally had intended to make the jump at 10nm, since my Dell had a Broadwell chip (first gen 14nm...). However, Intel's U series quad cores were enough of a performance increase to justify a move. Meanwhile, my Dell had started falling apart in a manner that impeded normal use.

CONCLUSIONS
    The keyboard backlight control isn't that clever. The Dell's (and frankly, every laptop I've had with a keyboard backlight) will keep the backlight off until you touch the KB, upon which it stays lit for 20s. Or, one could toggle one or off via a software/BIOS option.

All that said, I like the laptop well enough. It's not like my Dell, or Vaio, both of which compromises. Compromises that may have been lessened by not requiring a dGPU, since the newest game I have played for years is Starcraft 2. The Intel HD620 can easily handle that.

Overall, I do still intend to upgrade at Intel 10nm.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM
  5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:

I did a trade with another user that had a nidec fan so I could compare side by side how the Delta and Nidec (Furukawa) is constructed.

The main issue with the Nidec one is that the top of the fan can't intake any air, or is extremely choked by the opening, while the Delta one has a much bigger opening and a different fan design that allows more air to pass through the said opening.

Fan dimension isn't considerably bigger/smaller on the Nidec/Furukawa one.

I will post a picture of both the Delta and Nidec/Furukawa a bit later, remind me to do this!

@triturbo don't miss it.

triturbo and jeremyshaw like this.
  6. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Thanks. I did replace my Nidec heatsink assembly with a Delta. The Nidec performed unusually well on its last batch of performance testing, very uncharacteristic of its prior performances.

I'm almost completely certain I drowned the die in Noctua paste, and will have to redo it soon. Also, something (likely a corner of tape) is hitting the spokes of the fan, since I hear the familiar sound of an impeded impeller.

Can the fans even take in air from the KB side? I know in my Dell, despite the abundance of tape around the KB, still had some airflow around the KB area.

7. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, the color selector is ChromaTune. But when it's broken, the selector doesn't do anything, it will always display native gamut no matter what you select.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    not that I'm aware of

9. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Wow, @Mobius 1

You are right, I did not take a close enough look at the heatsink assemblies the first time around!

The fan intake side is much larger on the Delta:
    intake side.JPG

And we can see a bit of it here, but the other side shows much larger fan hub is on the Nidec, potentially blocking airflow (?).
    fan hubs.JPG

That's all solid plastic on the Nidec.

We can also see my poor pasting job.

After redoing the paste, I reran the CBR15 loops again. With the same ambient temperatures, the fifth CBR15 run improved a bit to 535 (up from 519; like the previous time, I ran CBR15 5 times in a row to get a better view of long term performance). While I still consider that within the noise range, it's consistently better than the ~480 I was getting with the Nidec (notebookcheck was getting around that, too, for sustained performance).

I was editing and rendering some videos at work today, and the laptop did appreciably well.

I normally use Premier, but I also tried the Windows Photo Movie Maker (built into the current Microsoft Windows 10 Photos app), because it properly supports Intel Quicksync for exports. It is quite fast. Shame the basic editing tools in the current iteration of "Movie Maker" are far worse than the Windows Live Essentials revision, otherwise I would not have needed to let Adobe software taint my laptop.

EDIT: grammar.

triturbo likes this.
  10. calyco

calyco Newbie

Reputations:
    Never even noticed that option, the standard color setting works perfectly for a quick fix. Thanks!