ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Installed a few hours ago. So far so good.

aliv likes this.
  2. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I'm a new X1C6 owner. I'm also new to Lenovo, coming from many years with Dell Latitude laptops. I had no real complaints about the Dells, but this time I was free to choose, and Lenovo offered a more appealing combination of features and price.

I bought the Costco model which has i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 1080p screen. It came with the Samsung SSD and Delta cooling unit.

I haven't yet read through this whole thread, but I plan to. A few quick questions:

- Is a clean install of Windows recommended, or is the factory install good to go?

- Any recommendations on docking solutions? One reason I chose Lenovo is because they are one of the few manufacturers who still offer mechanical docks. Previously I used the Dell E series docks with my Dell machines and never had a problem with them. Dell only offers tethered docks now (i.e. USB-C or Thunderbolt). I'm leaning toward the Lenovo Pro dock 40AH, or the TB3 dock 40AC. I'll be driving a pair of 1440p displays connected via DP, so either of those docks will handle it. The pro dock seems like it might be a little easier to use, since the laptop just snaps in and no driver software is needed. The TB3 dock seems like it might be more versatile, since it keeps a TB3 port available on the dock and on the computer, while the Pro doc covers up both TB3 ports. The TB3 doc can also be used with non-Lenovo computers in the future. I've also read that the X1C6 can run hot, so another benefit of the TB3 dock is that it would allow the use of a cooling pad under the computer if desired. Any comments would be appreciated.

- Any other tips or tricks for a Lenovo/X1C6 newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
    Found this thread on reddit that has some related discussion, including a list of known issues.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8ybokm/new_x1c6_on_the_way_what_do_i_need_to_know/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 3:02 PM
  3. aliv

aliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The clean installation is the only way I follow when I purchase a new laptop. Two main reasons:
    1. I try to use portable apps where possible and only install those apps, that I absolutely need to be installed. Nothing more.
    2. I don't use Windows 10 Pro with all telemetry and rest of the garbage that default Windows 10 Pro is coming with. Right away I legally upgrade to Enterprise LTSB, reconfigure firewall and turn off many useless features.

So for me a complete reinstall is the only way to go.

4. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. For the time being, I will only have the license for Win 10 Home that came with the machine. I will probably still try to do a clean install.