ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. FinchX

FinchX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update: Lenovo released yesterday the HD graphics driver version 24.20.100.6168, which fixes the bug that prevented ChromaTune from working. You can now select a normal sRGB gamut from the desktop (right click drop down menu after you install ChromaTune), and the option is sticky across reboots. The HDR screen is now perfect.

huntnyc likes this.
  2. FinchX

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that the people who post are almost always the few with problems. Happy users don't go to forums.

I've had the X1C 6th generation for a month or so, and it's fantastic. I haven't had any of the issues described in this thread. The only problem was the screen gamut bug, which was just fixed with a driver update. The HDR screen is the best laptop screen I've ever used, performance is great, the fan is very quiet (and rarely even on), good keyboard, battery life, fit and finish, and so on.

huntnyc likes this.
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Requires igpu driver from lenovo or can you use generic ones from Intel?

4. FinchX

Reputations:
    Only the Lenovo driver works for me. The gamut selection is still broken on the later (.6229) generic Intel driver.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How weird.

I'm thinking of an X1 Yoga instead of Carbon 6, wonder if the HDR screen fix driver also applies there?

6. netnative

netnative Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am about to embark on a clean install of Windows 10 on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th. From what I have read online, I do not foresee any complications using the USB flash drive created by the Windows Media Creation Tool. What is the best way to install the drivers? One by one? Using Lenovo Vantage? Using Lenovo System Update 5? Scanning the machine at the Lenovo Support website? Any guidance and/or tips to accomplish a perfect clean install would be appreciated.

7. FinchX

Reputations:
    I followed this guide. It's thorough and also shows you how to turn off the bloat and spyware.

8. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Download windows 10 iso from microsoft and install.

9. aliv

aliv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone try to install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (1607) on X1 Carbon (I have license)?
    Particular questions is about drivers. Many drivers on lenovo.com have two versions:
    - for Windows 10 Version 1703 or earlier, and
    - for Windows 10 Version 1709 and later versions

Obviously i need to use driver version "1703 or earlier".
    But there is a driver "Fibocom L850-GL Wireless WAN Driver for Windows 10" which is only available in "Version 1709 or later".
    What would you recommend to do?
    Thanks.

10. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Just a quick update:

Bios 1.30 (Download Page) introduced "Optimized Sleep State for Linux" (i.e., A flag that enables good old S3).
    I've tested in my Dual Boot box and it works great. Less than 3% battery usage over 10 hours sleep. Zero problems on wake up.

Great stuff!

powerslave12r and huntnyc like this.