ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. netnative

netnative Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will probably replace the thermal module at some point --sooner rather than later if the X1 Carbon is noisier than the HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-y0XX that I purchased on December 2016. I have not decided which thermal compound to use. I am interested in one that has both excellent heat conductivity and a long lifespan. Any suggestions?

2. netnative

Reputations:
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is really odd. After I received my X1C, 7 of my friends and coworkers from around the country (U.S.) purchased X1Cs. Two of them previously had Macbooks, 3 had Dells, 1 had an HP, 1 had an Alienware. They purchased X1Cs after talking to me and trying mine (for those who didn't live here they tried it when I was with them on business trips.)

None of them have had any of the issues these articles talk about. I'm not disputing the people who wrote the articles had issues, but they make it sound like if you buy an X1C you've got a 1 in 10 chance of getting a good laptop. And if there are some issue I hope Lenovo improves their QC. Also, as I tried to take into consideration when I was researching the Dell XPS 15 (the laptop I planned to purchase, I and my family have had Dells or Alienwares for MANY years) most people don't go to websites to post how much they like their purchase. You get a much higher ratio of people with problems who post on boards, whether it is laptops or mattresses, because people happy with their purchases typically have no reason to post on websites. (I'm here because I read these forums all the time.)

For the XPS 15 there were 500 pages of threads of people describing problems. The general advice was to immediately re-paste the GPU and CPU, flash an ISO some users put together, and a ton of other fixes, plus pages of how to best return it and get them to send one hoping to not have any one of dozens of serious issues. I just wanted a laptop I could open up and use. I was told as long as you are willing to do all the work of replacing all the drivers, re-pasting, hacking the BIOS, etc. etc. etc. you could potentially have a good machine.

Compared to 36 pages so far here. With only a few issues. I did have the issue with my USB ports not working properly with my iPhone, but Lenovo fixed that pretty quickly. Maybe my experience and those of the friends and coworkers are an anomaly, but I'm glad I didn't read those articles before I purchased my system. OH - I take that back, one of my coworkers had a question as to whether his higher level backlighting was as high as it should be, he had the on site warranty, they sent someone to his house and made him happy.

Just an alternate point of view. Again, I am not suggesting the articles are written by people that are making things up, and if there are Lenovo QC issues I hope the articles motivate Lenovo to address them. But for me, I wouldn't trade my X1C in for any other laptop on the market.

BioHazard17 and huntnyc like this.
  5. gasongasoff

gasongasoff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone else having choppy 2-finger scrolling issues in Chrome?

6. netnative

Reputations:
    Enticed by “Black Friday in July” savings and “same day shipping” I ordered a preconfigured ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen. (Part Number 20KH002HUS) and a few accessories. Following are some comments regarding the purchase experience and the laptop itself.
    • Lenovo shipping dates seem to be aspirational. I placed my order on July 18th and Lenovo did not ship the laptop until July 24th despite the “same day shipping” representation. In the meantime, the Order Visibility Portal (OVP) did not reflect any changes. It called my attention that two accessories were shipped from Hong Kong while the laptop and one accessory was shipped from North Carolina.
    • The Lenovo customer service persons with whom I interacted were attentive and supportive but were not able to get a response to the inquiries and requests they made to the “focal team” and the “sales team” regarding shipment of the laptop. I speculate that Lenovo manufacturing and shipping processes have a high degree of inertia that is very difficult to overcome, and that effective communication between the various Lenovo departments is hindered by an expansive and fragmented global organization. However, someone at “post-sales” was finally able to tell me exactly what the status of my order was and when the laptop would be shipped despite what the OVP showed.
    • The ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Adapter Gen 2 cannot be ordered with a preconfigured X1 Carbon because it does not appear in Accessories. However, when purchasing a Configure To Order (CTO) unit one can add it under Adapters.
    • The laptop that I received has two issues. The lid does not close properly on the right side (a widespread issue from what I have read) and the keyboard is unevenly lit —so much that the Backspace, Enter and Shift keys are almost dark. I could live with the lid not closing properly and with the keyboard lighting being somewhat uneven, but not with a significant area of the keyboard being almost dark. This is the kind of issue for which a business would not return a laptop, but for which a consumer end-user might. I did.
    • The initial resistance to have the unit returned was easily overcome. Lenovo will not charge a restocking fee or return shipping.
    • The unit has the Nidec thermal module (Part 01Y203) rather than Delta’s (Part 01Y204). While the fan in the Nidec thermal module is reputed to be noisy as compared to that manufactured by Delta, I did not find it to be louder than the fan in the HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-y0XX that I have been using since December 2016.
    • As far as I could tell, the X1 Carbon does not have a recovery partition that allows the end-user to restore the laptop to its factory state. I created a Lenovo Recovery USB key after downloading all the files from the Lenovo Digital Download Recovery Service (DDRS). However, the process did not result in a factory-state installation. My unit came with Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS build 17134.81) and Lenovo Vantage while the recovery process installed Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.547) and Lenovo Companion. This may matter because it has been reported that excessive fan noise and CPU issues were related to certain settings in factory preloads based on Windows 10 Version 1709.
    • Rather than ask for a replacement, I placed an order for a maxed-out CTO unit with WWAN including the ThinkPad Ethernet Extension Adapter Gen 2. Hopefully, this one will not have issues and I will not need to make compromises. If so, a three-week wait for delivery would be worth it.

BioHazard17 likes this.
  7. gasongasoff

gasongasoff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My X1C 6th (arrived a few days ago) came with the following 512GB Opal SSD:
    LENSE30512GMSP34MEAT3TA

Does anyone know which drive this corresponds to? I'm guessing it's NOT the PM981.

8. netnative

Reputations:
    It seems that it is an SSD manufactured by Ramaxel Technolgoy for Lenovo. See: https://fccid.io/MSIP-REM-uis-1003-80746.

9. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Its a Lenovo SSD.

10. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That’s defitely not Samsung ssd.