ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It depends really.

Even with basic warranty you can get parts shipped to you so you don't have to ship the machine out or wait for a technician. But I understand that you want a perfect OOTB device.

If you ever decide to sell that machine, post it on the NBR forum and notify me either by PM or mention @James_Brown (like this)

2. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I LOVE my X1C 6th gen. I’ve been buying laptops for decades and this is the best one I’ve ever had.

I can’t hear the fans, I put my hands to the vents to make sure they’re running. Overall quality vs say the Dells I’ve owned is head and shoulders above. Extremely well designed. Even things I thought I would dislike such as the F keys requiring the Fn key (which you can reverse ) turns out to be perfect for me - I use the brightness up and down, volume up and down, etc keys more than I use the F keys.

Little things like the simple way to turn on the keyboard backlighting (two levels) and back off. And it surprised me: this small, super light notebook runs my video editor faster than my old 10 pound no battery life Alienware M17x from a few years ago.

Best notebook I’ve ever owned. If you want s forum full of complaints look at the Dell XPS 15 owner threads and all of the pages of fixes etc. As a Dell owner for years that was my first choice but after a year of deep research I decided I didn’t want to have to do so much work right from the beginning to have a decent machine.

Anthony Accioly and huntnyc like this.
  3. James_Brown

James_Brown Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

4. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

On no are they STILL doing that!? My very first computer was one of the low cost IBM laptops, 1999 model I think, and the red button always very annoyingly drifted down as though being pulled by gravity!

5. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    it happens sometimes

6. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    huntnyc likes this.
  7. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    People generally are not having problems with the X1C6. The people on here, myself included, who are having / did have problems are much more vocal about it. I went through at least 6 X1C6 all bought at Costco where I could inspect them and avoid return issues. EVERY single one had issues- dead pixels, bright oval shaped spots in the screen, dust specks under the screen, faulty left click button that would not register when pressed. Also every one I tried, I needed to edit the power settings in a command prompt because the CPU would not downclock while plugged in and idle.

All that said, if you get a good one, it is hands down the best ultraportable business laptop on the market. They use quality Samsung SSDs. If you are concerned about defects absolutely get the onsite warranty upgrade.

8. netnative

netnative Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After some effort, I finally got a Shipment Notification for the ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Generation Part Number 20KH002HUS that I ordered last Wednesday. It was shipped from North Carolina rather than Hong Kong. The Order Visibility Portal (OVP) provided the Serial Number. With it I was able to find-out which of the two thermal modules (fans) is installed on my X1 Carbon. The Lenovo PC Support website shows that it is Part 01YR203 made by Furukawa (Nidec) rather than Part 01Y204 made by Delta. Suddenly, excitement turned into disappointment. Are all Nidec fans noisier than Delta fans? I am not looking forward to the process of replacing the thermal module.

9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    nidec is faster than delta at full speed, claims to have better cooling potential since the fan size is the same

if you want to try delta, just claim fan bearing broken and you have crackling noise, and request the part 01Y204 (fan module) by delta and 100% insist that the person doesn't auto-sub / substitute for a compatible part

10. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I love Windows Hello and hate the fingerprint sensor. Do you think there is ever hope that we will be able to have both the HDR screen and the infrared camera anytime soon?

Do a lot of conf calls so don’t want to skimp on the camera, nor on the screen.