ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anything with a screen brings out OCD traits in me that I didn't know existed. So I really prefer to buy in person if I can because it's a pain to go through an exchange process via shipping. My first X1C had a dead pixel and it was a breeze to just exchange in person at Costco. The config I would've bought from Lenovo was a few hundred cheaper, yes, but peace of mind and easy returns was worth it to me.

*Edit- configs are much cheaper using my BN login as well now, damn. Can get the 8350/16/256/FHD for about $1150 ish I think. I don't want to return mine for no good reason, but $350 is $350. Hmm...

*Edit 2: Will return the original to Costco. Ordered the 8530/16/256/FHD for $1137 through my BN login. Total saved w/ tax will be $418 which is a lot. Quad i7 in this form factor makes no sense anyway.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  2. plumpcheek

plumpcheek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I just purchased X1C and realize the charger cord way too long and bulk, please advise a travel charger from lenovo or third party USB-C PD charger. Thanks in advance.

3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    I recommend going to the gym or buying a bigger bag, because that charger is the smallest you can get for this class.

4. n640nec

n640nec Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips, went into the BIOS to tweak a few settings including what you mentioned. I thought about swapping the Fn and Ctrl keys within the BIOS settings, but the more I thought about it, the more I agree with your conclusion as it does not feel right. Just a mental thing, I'll play with the default Fn and Ctrl configuration a little bit longer... I may end up getting used to it. Very helpful overall, thanks again.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  5. n640nec

n640nec Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice find, but does it offer the extra 2 years warranty that Costco offers? Not that it is important, as I ... wait, I have had Dell support come out to replace parts for the Precision 5510. I can't say I never utilized laptop warranty nor can I say I will never utilize this Lenovo/Costco warranty service, but it's nice that it is there.

6. Badboy8813

Badboy8813 Newbie

Reputations:
    My new x1 was just delivered and looks like i got one of the high pitched fan noise versions. bummed out about this. How do I go about requesting a replacement?

7. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would just call tech support and tell them the whine of the fan makes it unusable in an office environment and you’ve heard X1Cs with silent fans - could you please replace this.

Badboy8813 likes this.
  8. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question- is anyone currently using the X1C as a desktop replacement in a dock in an office setting? I decided to just keep the 8550/16/512 model and would like to buy the latest Pro docking station from Lenovo. I run two monitors (both 1080p) and would plug in 4 USB devices, and also my cell phone. I'd be doing 2D office work (internet, Word, Excel, PDF viewing). Will the fan be blasting non-stop under this type of load? I would love to be able to use this as my only office PC and take my work with me, rather than remote login when out of the office. Thanks for any input!

9. Badboy8813

Badboy8813 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations: