ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah I did. Went with an xps 13 9370 instead.

2. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @jefflackey : There is a new bios update, N23ET47W (1.22). I installed it earlier tonight and so far (knock on wood) it has resolved the iPhone 8 USB connection issues. Give it a try and see if it helps. I also installed a touchpad update and it seems to have fixed my Chrome scrolling issues, specifically NBR site.

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  3. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I’ll try that tonight. Something else odd that I discovered in all of my tinkering to fix this: For some reason I have a bit more success using actual Apple brand cords than other (better quality) cords. Even though the other brand cords (from a variety of vendors) work just fine with my iPhone and all of my other notebooks.

4. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Success!

I had discovered before the new BIOS that using a Genuine Apple USB to iPhone cable allowed iTunes to install the needed drivers (which makes no sense to me since I have been using higher quality second party USB to iPhone cables for years, with no problems of any kind with every other laptop.) But even after that, my X1C would not recognize my iPhone with second party cables.

After this BIOS updates, the USB ports seem to work the way they should.

Thanks VERY much for pointing me to the BIOS update! I wonder if Lenovo just had the USB ports on the bordeline in terms of power?

Anthony Accioly, huntnyc and jlp0209 like this.
  5. n640nec

n640nec Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th Generation owner and first time Lenovo system owner! I had purchased only Dell systems in the past, except for a 2011 Macbook Pro 13. Decided to branch out on computer brands with Costco's recent offer. I just needed something for personal usage, light weight, lasting battery, i7 and minimum 16 GB RAM. No gaming on laptops, I only game with my desktops. The keyboard is very nice compared to my wife's XPS 13 or my own Precision 5510 (work). I would still say the Macbook Pro keyboard is top dog in this group I own in regards to quality keyboard feel, but X1C is very close IMO. I wish the X1C trackpad was wider or larger, but it functions and feels just fine. The aging Macbook Pro 13 trackpad still feels like a champ. I have tried the thumb stick, pointer, or whatever that famous nub above the "B" key is called. It's ok, but still something I am trying to get used to moving around.

Oh yeah, the finger print reader, it's meh... my old XPS 15 that had the more insecure swipe finger print reader was a whole lot more consistent. The one built into this X1C works if I ... open the lid, most of the time make sure the light comes on for it... and more specifically make sure I position my finger or thumb correctly on the reader. I can't swipe it or it fails and I cannot misplace my finger on it partially (I have to visually know where the scanner is located) or it fails to scan. If it fails twice then I have to manually type in the password. I have to gently place the finger on the reader and most of the time it is successful.

The battery life has been pretty good running a i7, but I have been trying to stretch the battery life. I have tinkered a bit with the Lenovo Vantage and constantly adjust the LCD brightness according to the brightness of my surrounding environment. I have learned to switch off the keyboard lights when I do not really need it. I did not learn how to use the keyboard light toggle out of necessity, but because of how Lenovo decided to awkwardly place the Fn key to the left of the Ctrl key. I'm still getting used to it, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The FHD LCD matte screen is good enough for me, I would not mind a 4K 15" screen like what I have for my Precision... or HDR WQHD, but I can live without trying to read tiny text on a 14" screen. I also do not prefer glossy screens.

It's definitely a finger print magnet. I have not yet spilled any liquid on the system so can't claim how well that feature works. I am interested, but dare not test the liquid resistant feature. I am growing to love the keyboard as it's much better than my Dell laptop keyboards. I like the built-in siding cover for the camera that I *NEVER* use on a laptop (that's what a smart phone can do better now). Wish I could buy a laptop without the camera entirely. Speakers are probably not the best but they are usable and clear. I do not use them to listen to anything I want to seriously enjoy. I listen to music via bluetooth headset, same with calls. It hasn't heat up too much on me, but I often use a laptop pad if on my lap anyways... just a habit from past older laptops that would get pretty toasty. The style is sexy and just sooooo light, I sometimes hold the laptop like a clipboard walking from one spot to another. There is no perfect laptop to me, but I just focused on what I wanted and was willing to compromise on other features. So far so good, much more to explore from this system! :vbthumbsup:

Anthony Accioly likes this.
  6. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice review @n640nec, I hope that you enjoy your device.

A few points from using the machine daily:

1. Force yourself to use the nub (TrackPoint), while initially It may feel a little weird, with practice it is generally way more useful than the trackpad. Once you find the correct hand placement your thumbs will always rest on the physical buttons and it really speeds up the workflow when your hands never leave the keyboard.

2. Speaking of keyboards, I do agree with you about the Fn Key placement. While it can be easily inverted with Ctrl (BIOS or Windows Options), such setup simply doesn't feel right. I wish that Fn and Ctrl were the same size so that we could physically Swap the keys. About MacBook Pros, IMO, good keyboards are things of the past. Apple ruined its keyboards with butterfly switches, touchbar, etc.

Finally, about battery time, I found out that a combination of 3 factors are affecting battery time:
    1. Default Installation has bad defaults (for insance, it will only hibernate after 1440 minutes, i.e., one day)
    2. Modern standby (S0i3) instead of deep sleep (S3), paired with options that often "wake" the computer for no reason.
    3. CPU can benefit from slight undervolting.

First problem is easy to solve: Reinstall Windows (from a bootable USB, do not restore OS to factory conditions).
    The second problem is a little bit more involved. If you are a Linux users there is an unofficial patch to reintroduce S3 in the ACPI DSDT (lowered my standby power consumption from around 2%/hour to less than 1% day): https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-...ep-sleep-S3-state-aka-Suspend-to/td-p/3998182 . I also recommend disabling TB3 wake on LAN, USB charging o suspend and the card reader. I would also recommend bothering Lenovo so that they officially reintroduce S3 state.

There is some advice about undervolting your CPU in this thread.

Hope it helps. Cheers