ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using the laptop for the past day and a half and have had no issues with my Samsung S9, on either USB port. So maybe something has changed with Android 8.0 in the S9. My iPhone 8 always connects / disconnects from that right side USB port. This is not at all a hardware issue, in my humble opinion. For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives with this machine. It is a total joy to use.

2. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, my iPhone 8 connects with no problems to my Dell Ins 15, my Alienware m17x, my Acer, my wife's laptop, etc. So whether it's hardware or software, it is something i cannot figure out how to fix. The phone doesn't show up in iTunes, nor in the Device manger. It charges on the right side port, it's ignored on the left side port. I just want it fixed!

3. Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @jefflackey

Your questions same as mine.
    I did my all android phone connect to MacBook Pro they are same problem.
    Sometime can detect and sometimes can't even found the driver as well.
    I dunno why.
    That's why switch all my laptop's to windows platform for solved this issue.

4. jlp0209

Reputations:
    I hear you, sorry. In this case you should just return the laptop and go with another brand that will work out for you. Not worth the frustration or cost.

5. perpetuus

perpetuus Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, I have a X1 Carbon 6th Gen coming but I'm still trying hard to decide what's the best laptop for me.

The X1 Carbon I bought is the fully loaded version with the HDR screen, but I also found a great deal on a new Dell XPS 15 9570 with a 4k 100% Adobe RGB screen too. Basically same price for both machines (~$1800), but 6-core i7, 32gb ram max, and GTX 1050Ti in the Dell. I prefer the keyboard and trackpad with physical buttons on the X1 Carbon though. Battery life would be similar since the Dell has a huge battery to compensate for that hungry CPU. The XPS comes with a 256gb crappy SSD, so that will have to be upgraded later, but not a deal breaker.

I mention the screen because I'm a professional photographer and a nice, colour accurate screen is an important consideration. Now, I don't necessarily need to edit photos on the laptop since I have a desktop rig with a 100% Adobe RGB screen at home, but it's nice to have I guess.

Which one would you pick in my shoes and why?

6. Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    XPS 15 sound like more higher specs than the X1 C6.

IF the weight not an issue, you should pick up Dell.

For those who's concern the weight should remain on X1 C6, cause this is durable and the best keyboard with carbon body, even accidentally drop from height the laptop still survival.

Actually I do not know about your future usage , maybe you plan to carry a laptop to office or somewhere else.
    Otherwise just remain on XPS 15 and carry everywhere if you can.

7. Anthony Accioly

Anthony Accioly Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/what-notebook-should-i-buy.16/ . It is hard to give unbiased advice. Both are excellent machines. I guess the main point is what is more useful to you? I'm on Linux doing software development. A 1050 not only would not be useful, all of the Optimus shenanigans would actually get in my way (I had so many driver issues with my previous machine that I've promised myself that my work notebook would never have a Nvidia dGPU again). The difference between a crappy SSD and the latest and greatest top of the line NVMe will not be that relevant for most users. I would actually prefer a 1080P display if I could get it with 500 nits (1440P is overkill for such a small screen, I really can't understand 4K). More memory and a better CPU is always nice, the Dell is certainly more powerful than the ThinkPad. But to me the keyboard is actually what seals the deal.

If you are in doubt try creating a spreadsheet and assigning points to each machine in each one of the categories that are important to you. Then discount points for design flaws. That's how I ended up with a X1C.

huntnyc likes this.
  8. Lukas K.

Lukas K. Newbie

Reputations:
    My first impressions with this beautiful machine:

Recently picked up X1C6 as my portable workstation mainly for writing, poor programming attempts and bit of prototyping in 3D software (Houdini, Maya, Nuke and Photoshop), nothing super heavy, just being able to start working on stuff on travel and eventually finish it later on more powerful desktop computer at work/home.

Honestly, I struggled a lot picking right tool for my work (CGI/Game development), so this writeup hopefully at least save others some precious time finally to decide which laptop to pick.

I was pretty much skeptical and kind of prepared to return it shortly after many emergency shutdowns due to high temperatures.

My X1 configuration(Basic one): Core i5 8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung PM981 512GB, Full HD non-touch

Picture :

[​IMG]
    My Precious X1

8GB RAM is IMHO only limiting factor, mostly in Houdini for simulations, unfortunately 16GB RAM are currently only available in most expensive pre-configured versions, at least in Europe. But 16GB would be still not enough for most of the work done in Houdini or Nuke anyway.

I finally understood that small portable devices are mostly all about tradeoffs, you can’t expect to have powerful rig in small thin laptop body and expect to perform as good as desktops or heavy desktops/gaming replacements. In my experience, it’s better to pick either portability/design or go straight for the performance.

X1C6 Strong points :

• Surprisingly very light, sturdy and portable device, even lighter than smaller XPS13.

• Great ergonomics, high overall comfort, it can be easily hold in one hand

• Very smooth and fast experience with latest 8th gen Intel processors, even basic Core i-5 8250U processor, you get almost 700 points in Cinebench R15.

• Excellent battery life, easily lasts 10+ hours with full HD display.

• Keyboard is truly amazing

• Fast NVMe SSD (Samsung PM981)

• Easily serviceable for internal cleaning, battery or SSD replacement. Unfortunately, RAM is soldered.

• Very quiet and cool, fans are turned off most of the time and they remain silent even on max PWM.
    X1C6 Weak points :

• Sound. Easily biggest and most noticeable downside, I really didn’t expect superb quality, but this is comparable to cheapest laptops on the market.

• Finger sensor although maybe is very secure, it is slow and usually works on second attempt.

• micro SD reader is disappointing for any photography related work, also awkwardly unreachable.

• X1 is fingerprint magnet, but all oil smudges are well hidden on black matte surface and they are easily removable.

• Full HD display with 300 nits is so so for outside work on direct sunlight.

• Lenovo Vantage UWP app is horrible.

• Open Suse Linux support - still having some issues with touchpad functionality, S3 sleep seems to be fixed in 4.14 kernel.

• It can’t be opened with one hand

• it is NOT gaming laptop, don’t expect to run graphical intensive games like witcher 3 on it, playing older games is fine though.
    What laptops I considered buying :

XPS 13 9370 :

• Beautiful small machine with nice bright screen and thin bezels

• Small, maybe too small and still noticeably heavier than X1

• Coil wine was present on all models I tested so far
    XPS 15 9570 :

• Probably best looking laptop IMHO.

• great performer on paper

• no coil wine comparing to 9370 or 9560, but I tested only one model.

• better keyboard than XPS13 version

• It gets really hot with serious throttling... Thermal emergency drops frequency below 1GHZ, shutdowns are pretty common if you simultaneously use CPU and GPU (gaming and GPU rendering)

• USB-C only

• although still quite portable, it is much heavier and bigger than X1.
    Lenovo T480 :

• upgradability

• better thermal solution

• great keyboard

• RJ45

• I don’t like typical ThinkPad design and rougher surface.

• larger and heavier than X1.

• not as powerful as XPS15, lacking dedicated GPU ( and even basic MX150 is not available in Europe)
    MacBook Pro :

I was also thinking about getting Macbook Pro purely for good build quality and good screen. I planned to install Windows/Linux on it at the end. I hate OSX. But I really didn`t like the keyboard on newer generation, glossy highly reflective screens and lack of useful ports.

Final impressions :

My X1 Core I-5 8250U is stable -.95mv undervolted, temperatures are 40-50 ℃ in idle with fan turned off, it reaches 90 ℃ during rendering, fans are certainly not as loud as on XPS13. Only right side of the laptop around fan vent is getting hotter during extreme load.

Thermal throttling is present, but non-aggressive (usually CPU frequency is kept around 3200-3300MHZ all the time, no sudden drops below 1GHZ or any shutdowns or freezes)

Two things surprised me very positively : Battery life and keyboard.

I can’t stress enough how important is to test such expensive laptops like XPS or X1 by yourself. Performance can be measured, but ergonomics are very subjective aspects. Only keyboard “benchmark” we have are our hands and our own writing style. Remember that keyboard is playing huge part on overall experience.

Many reviews contain some basic information about keyboards, mostly how the key travel is deep, how mushy it feels or how loud it is, but that is all.

Overall I´am very happy with X1 Carbon, it feels very solid and still very light and barely noticable in my bag. For the first time I was more paying attention more to build quality, keyboard and ergonomy overall, not just performance and it certainly paid off.

Few benchmarks results : (I can keep adding results if someone is interested)

Cinebench CPU result : 640-700 (AC powered), 530 (On battery)

Cinebench GPU result : 54.25

ikjadoon, n640nec, huntnyc and 3 others like this.
  9. jlp0209

Reputations:
    Nice write up, I fully agree with your conclusions. Also have come to the realization that gaming laptops are just not worth it (for me) and am sticking with my desktop for all of that. My Razer Blade w/ 7700HQ and GTX 1060 is 15 months old with Microsoft warranty intact and I'll be lucky if I get close to half of what I paid for it. "Jack of all trade" laptops are great but they still have compromises as you said. This time around I got the X1C6 for the same reasons as you, rather than another thin and light gaming laptop. "Thin and light" and "gaming" don't belong in the same sentence, IMO. Sign me up for BGA, hot temps, gimped MaxQ GPU and / or fans that sound like jet engines! To each his own. Go big (18+ incher, dual power supply, desktop de-lidded CPU, top of line proper GPU x2) or go home when it comes to laptop gaming.

Lukas K. likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    yo @Eason did you ever sell your X1C6?