ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Anthony Accioly, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    Right side when viewed from which perspective?

2. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right, my experience is the same. Right side USB port (my right, as I'm facing the screen) the phone will connect and stay connected, but doesn't show up as a device in device manager nor will iTunes recognize it. It will charge the phone though. Left side (my left, facing the screen) just goes wonky. Rapid connect and disconnect, but after awhile it stays connected and is recognized by device manager.

Bummed. Really considering returning it due to this. Shame, because I love the laptop overall. But malfunctioning USB ports, on a $1600 laptop, that's an auto-return in my book.

**EDIT- @jefflackey : Please try this when you get the chance. I have no idea why, but downloading and installing the "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock" driver from the Lenovo X1C 6th gen drivers page completely resolved the problem for me. It is under "software and utilities." I figured to install anything related to USB just for kicks and I did this one first.

NEVERMIND- the right side is still wonky with the iPhone but my S9 stays solidly connected. So weird. Still not acceptable to me :/

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Hey, since these modern UEFIs are basically miniature operating systems, lets try to isolate the issue.

Boot into the BIOS (UEFI) and see if the issue persists in there. If it does, than the issue is probably more HW related (or some odd power setting in the BIOS). If it doesn't, then we can assume its an OS/driver issue.

Just to make sure, I just booted my laptop into the UEFI and tested the ports. It charges just fine in the UEFI, without Windows, Linux, etc. I am testing this on a Sony Vaio, however, so results may vary a bit.

4. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can get into the bios just fine, but you lost me from there. Sorry. If the phone is plugged into either USB port while in the bios it does charge.

Doing work this morning with phone connected. It seems that the issue only occurs with the iPhone for me. My Samsung S9 has no issues staying connected or recognized.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. nightscrawler

nightscrawler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

It comes to my mind to replace my laptop for business purpose, and I am narrowing down my final choice between the X1 Carbon 2018 and T480s. Most of my office time, will be focusing general MS Office work and internet searches. But I have substantial of travelling and hence size, weight, boot up speed really matters. While in general, I think both X1C6 and the T480s can meet with my office application requirement, I also prefer a great display personally. After some study through the internet information, I cannot find much information about the gamut or the sRGB coverage of X1C6's WQHD display (the non-HDR option). Would anyone know its information?

Or would this display being identical with the WQHD display in the T480s?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    x1c6

the hdr display is not available on the t480s

the wqhd NON-hdr I think uses the same panel on both model

7. nightscrawler

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. Then its much simpler to decide. Cheers.

8. Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Both of them are the best business laptop.
    If more on travels to get X1 Carbon can save a little weight.
    If more in office usage , try to get T480s is the best, comes with traditional RJ45 port and SD card slot else.
    Regardless of screen display specs from my personal experience for HDR Vs WQHD.
    Both of them are the greatest display, for WQHD display still the best, cause it's still Matt surface and lesser issue for reflection and face with very red colour on HDR display.
    If compare side by side for WQHD it's still more natural and greater display than the HDR.
    I have them both but still prefer WQHD an over the HDR.

HDR on the Right and WQHD on Left side.
    [​IMG]

WQHD more natural
    [​IMG]

HDR more into red and vivid
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    huntnyc likes this.
  9. nightscrawler

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your advices and sharing. Agree with you, the HDR looks a bit reddish on me too. Anyway, as there is a promotion ending soon, I just ordered the T480s with WQHD.

10. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK, been googling and seeing others with the issue of the rapid connect/disconnect when trying to connect a mobile phone to the X1C via USB, even with the 5th gen, and I am not seeing any fixes. This is not acceptable for a $3000 business quality machine.